RM-Z450 Need help with RMZ450

I have an 07 Suzuki RMZ 450 and I'm running into trouble when I try to kickstart it. I can kick about 5 times and then in locks up and I can't kick anymore. I put a ratchet on the crainkshaft on the stator side and turn the crainkshaft which allows me to move the kickstarter with my other hand. After ratcheting the crankshaft a few revolutions, the kickstarter will release and allow me to kick it about 5 more times. I honestly have no idea why this is happening Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also... I just recently bought this bike to try to flip and make some money so I don't really have much history with the bike.

I have an 07 Suzuki RMZ 450 and I'm running into trouble when I try to kickstart it. I can kick about 5 times and then in locks up and I can't kick anymore. I put a ratchet on the crainkshaft on the stator side and turn the crainkshaft which allows me to move the kickstarter with my other hand. After ratcheting the crankshaft a few revolutions, the kickstarter will release and allow me to kick it about 5 more times. I honestly have no idea why this is happening Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also... I just recently bought this bike to try to flip and make some money so I don't really have much history with the bike.

Check for metal in the oil and or oil filter. If you find any, it's tear down and inspection time.

Check for metal in the oil and or oil filter. If you find any, it's tear down and inspection time.
I've changed the oil and filter twice and did find a little bit of metal. Once I found that, I sprayed gas all throughout the engine the best I could with an air compressor to try to dislodge any debris that may causing the issue. But this didn't help at all.

I've changed the oil and filter twice and did find a little bit of metal. Once I found that, I sprayed gas all throughout the engine the best I could with an air compressor to try to dislodge any debris that may causing the issue. But this didn't help at all.

The problem isn't where the metal is, it's where it came from, could be the cam locking up in the head,crank bearings going out, to me it sounds like an inspection is in order. Have you ever had it running?

The problem isn't where the metal is, it's where it came from, could be the cam locking up in the head,crank bearings going out, to me it sounds like an inspection is in order. Have you ever had it running?
Yes, I got it running a couple days after I got it. The timing was off so it wasn't running very good. I tore it down to the piston and the connecting rod didn't have any play what's so every. Then I replaced the valves, adjusted the valve spacing, and corrected the timing. Put it all back together, started it up, drove it about a 1/4 of a mile and it died on me an the kickstarter locked up.

Last edited:
Yes, I got it running a couple days after I got it. The timing was off so it wasn't running very good. I tore it down to the piston and the connecting rod didn't have any play what's so every. Then I replaced the valves, adjusted the valve spacing, and corrected the timing. Put it all back together, started it up, drove it about a 1/4 of a mile and it died on me an the kickstarter locked up.

Timing off huh? Makes me wonder why, if the cam was locking up it may have caused the chain to skip a tooth. I think I'd start with pulling the cam, inspect for scoring and wear.

Pressure test the cooling system to see if you are hydraulically locking it with coolant. Do the testing with the valve cover off so that you can see what position the valves are in when it locks. You can tell more about where the snag is coming from that way.