Need help with bike purchase

im looking to get a bike. It's been a while since I rode but have the itch and deep down have always missed it. Back in my day it was 2 stroke only. Now obviously you have choices. I'm looking at a Yz 250. Most for sale seem to be 4 stroke. Allot of people say to stay away from the 4s if I can. My concern is how can you really tell the condition of a bike and if it was truly cared for. I don't want to shell out 3 k for a bike on,y to have it blow up a week later.

Thanks

It is really hard to tell the condition of a bike without some willingness on your part and the present owner's. I tend to buy them all with the idea that it is getting an upper end at the least.

I used to want to remove the exhaust pipe on a two stoke and take a flashlight and look at the piston for seize marks and blowby. Now, if I look at a 4 stroke (before shim under valves too) I like checking clearances. So the owners have to agree. ones who claim fresh parts shouldnt be scared of a compression or blowby test at the least on a 4 stroke.

Standard things like bearing play and linkage/swingarm pivot play come next. Looks, depending on your degree of acceptance.

yz250's of the two stroke variety from 99-2004 are great bikes, and you can get a decent rider for 18-22 most places I look. again, plan for upper end, clutch, etc when you buy at the minimum. My 2002 with nothing more than handguards and a rekluse clutch has shown to be an excellent playbike.

our site pirate and yz250 guru is Palmer1 and he can tell you anything you ever wanted to know about one.

Well, I am kind of a whore when it comes the the YZ 2 stroke. They are very versatile, and great bikes, cheap parts and easy to maintain.
If you mainly going to be a track rider, find a 2006 and up, if woods, desert, jungle, whatever Canada has to offer, get the steel frame, shoot for 2004, but don't get less than a 2002. Engine has been about the same from 1999 but you body panels changed in 2002 and have remained the same until 2015. All interchangeable, even the restyle look is out there, and you can make a 2002, look like a 2017 less the aluminum frame. On the other forum TT, there are a group of excellent guys in the YZ 2 stroke forum that will walk you through any problems. But like any bike, get the manual for it as well if you plan on doing the wrenching. Good luck, and let us know if you settle on the YZ 2stroke.

It is easier to go online to youtube etc and get a visual on what an actual shop does to check clearance, it hasnt changed since the flathead days in one respect, but 3 minutes on film will get you going. make sure you have any gaskets/orings on hand too.

Aw heck no I actually prefer the alum ones handling, but it has the same engine as steel ones and always fetch more $ which if you plan a rebuild keeps the initial cost down buying steel

So there is nothing wrong with the aluminum frames.

Not at all. Palmer has or had both, trail riders sometimes seem to prefer the steel ones, they flex slightly more and are a little easier for long rides given equal suspension, and the suspension components on the aluminum framed rigs fits on the steel framed ones. The steel framed rigs are a little easier to work on when talking about carbs on and off etc since the aluminum spars are wider to work around etc.