Need electrical help hardwiring a GPS on my bike.

I have a Magellan 210 GPS on my bike. There is nothing on the market that currently exists that allows me to hardwire it directly from my battery to my GPS. The only thing close is a plug that goes from the back of the GPS to a 12 volt adapter receptacle. For the last couple of years, I have opened the male part of the 12 plug and had somebody solder the wires from the battery directly to the circuit board in the male adapter, closed it up and I was good to go. Recently it went bad (circuit board).:foul: I tried to solder another 12 volt adapter and failed miserably.:bonk: The circuit board acts as reducer, reducing the volts from 12 vollts DC to 5 volts DC to power the GPS so I don't fry it.

So my thought is that there has to be some sort of "electrical reducer" that I can hardwire directly with no soldering to a circuit board that goes from 12 volts to 5 volts. Therein lies the question. I am hoping that one of you electrical wizards have an idea if something like this exists and if so, where I would get it. Or some other way to accomplish what I want to do. HELP!

SRAD97750

Staff member
A regulator is what you're after. It's a transistor acting like a resistor.

The car adapters are your only real route. Have you tried a female car adapter to your battery, instead of wiring to the circuit board?

A regulator is what you're after. It's a transistor acting like a resistor.

The car adapters are your only real route. Have you tried a female car adapter to your battery, instead of wiring to the circuit board?

So your saying to use a female adapter, I assume unwiring the female part and wiring it directly?

Not a resistor, but a voltage regulator.

The easy way is to get a car usb charger. The USB chargers put out 5 volts.

Can you guys elaborate a bit more and tell me where I should buy this? Or show me a pic?

SRAD97750

Staff member
OK, it would be a female 12v cigarette plug with 2 leads that go directly to your battery. Completely intact.
Then on the GPS side You use the complete car adapter (the kind you have already taken apart). The two come together, as designed, and hide under the seat. I think this would be maintenance free and you'd only have to plug in the back of your gps.

While I agree that there is plenty of good advice above (admittedly, rather confusing), have you tried buying the sickest set of graphics you can find Dub-G? Either that or some badarse anodized axle blocks - more than likely, that will solve everything. :thumb: You're welcome in advance.

SRAD97750

Staff member
(admittedly, rather confusing)

hmm....
A cigarette lighter receptacle with eyelets instead of clamps
auto-part-auto-cigarette-lighter-socket-with-battery-clip.jpg

and the car adapter for your gps
universal-car-charger-for-htc_pdi.gif

Put them together and what have you got? Bippity Boppity Boop.

OK, it would be a female 12v cigarette plug with 2 leads that go directly to your battery. Completely intact.
Then on the GPS side You use the complete car adapter (the kind you have already taken apart). The two come together, as designed, and hide under the seat. I think this would be maintenance free and you'd only have to plug in the back of your gps.
Did this originally a couple of years ago, but the connection kept coming loose from all the bouncing. No worky, which is why I went that other route.

While I agree that there is plenty of good advice above (admittedly, rather confusing), have you tried buying the sickest set of graphics you can find Dub-G? Either that or some badarse anodized axle blocks - more than likely, that will solve everything. :thumb: You're welcome in advance.
Thanks for the help....:rolleyes::rolleyes: putz.:smirk: Do the graphics plug in to the adapter?:poke:

Thanks for the help....:rolleyes::rolleyes: putz.:smirk: Do the graphics plug in to the adapter?:poke:
They most certainly do plug in to the adapter but, you have to buy custom stuff:thumb: here's a link, :Nedge's custom stuff 'N shit: just send them cash and they'll fix you up! They're great people to deal with. :prof: No need to thank me now, thank me after you complete your money transfer. You're welcome.