Need 2 stroke wisdom

I currently trail ride a dual sport. Not the most common bike at all but it surprisingly can take on any trail just as good as any other. A Yamaha tw200
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415248450.528148.jpg
The point is, I want something without turn signals too. And yep, a 2 stroke. I cannot decide between a 125 and 250 though. I'm not worried about seat height at all (I can ride a XL600 without trouble). I'm worried about the power for my weight. Like I said I trail ride lol so I'm about 220lbs. I know a flywheel weight is good for trails and will get one no matter what. I read that the 125 bogs down with my weight on it, but will a flywheel weight balance it out more like a 250f? I'm hesitant to go straight to a 250 but will if I need to. Just need to break my 4 banger ways.

Welcome Caleb.....glad your moving away from the dark side, as far as the flywheel weight goes, it will not increase power, however it will make the power you have feel more spread out, and the engine will not spool up as fast, I would definately be looking at a 250 and not a 125,I'm 185 and a 125 barely makes it for me.

2002-2014 Are the same with the exception of frame and suspension changes. A seat can be changed to your liking from many companies out there or you can do it yourself if $$ is an issue. Euo bikes have the hardest seat in the industry. You have to have IRON ASS to have alot of seat time on any.

Edited double post to answer post below.

Last edited:
What year yz has the widest seat? I feel like I'm riding a wedgie with most motocross seats. That's why I was leaning toward a cr250. But I know that Yamaha is the better bike. Since its a Yamaha

My yz's are much taller than my xl 600 is. More like the last of the crazy 600's if you are going to make a height comparison .

You don't mention which years you will be after. For me Honda had yamaha beat from 87 to 96 if you discount yamaha having a wr transmission avail. If you compared the 2000 and 2001 as stock mxr's the honda had the edge for me due to suspension. Honda over thought the 2002 engine. Yamaha had a better suspension by 2005. Honda effectively quit before then.

2002-2014 Are the same with the exception of frame and suspension changes. A seat can be changed to your liking from many companies out there or you can do it yourself if $$ is an issue. Euo bikes have the hardest seat in the industry. You have to have IRON ASS to have alot of seat time on any.

Edited double post to answer post below.
Years back the british gave us Lucas electrics so that we would know not to ever ride at night. The euros gave us seats to remind us not to EVER sit down.

What year yz has the widest seat? I feel like I'm riding a wedgie with most motocross seats. That's why I was leaning toward a cr250. But I know that Yamaha is the better bike. Since its a Yamaha
mid 90's were really comfy. i still have a 95 yz 125 with a big bore kit and suspension off of a 2003 that i like on long rides better than my converted crf250 (wide ratio trans from a crfx)