Amatuer National Hare and Hound Round 3

This is all worth a grain of salt as I was the only one in my class who showed up, also, as I type this, keep in mind I am totally exhaust so if it doesn't flow or the grammar is horrible, sorry frand.

Round 3 of the NHHA series was held in Kalgary, a little south east of Lubbock Texas. being so far removed from the others, I wasn't sure what to expect as to the best of my knowledge, you can watch your dog run away for days down there. Rather than leaving thursday, I left saturday morning with Greg (long time friend and suspension tuner/mechanic for things I don't have the knowledge or the tools for) arriving in texas saturday evening, this would be a hit and run kind of deal rather than a 4 day weekend (I gotta work to pay for stuff ya know) but between texas being an hour ahead of nm, and rolling clocks forward an hour, I essentially lost 2 hours of sleep sunday morning

The course was definitely not my favorite, it was 80 miles of corners that I really struggled with, all of it slow (in desert racing terms) if you were going straight longer than about 25 feet, it was because you were off course. I did not get a good start vs. my row, bike didn't start on the first kick, and oddly, it did not like just chugging around, as it would flame out and die and then be real pain to restart, and shortly into the race I fell and broke off the left hand guard, which made doing lots of corners through easily breakable trees and bushes, quite painful. I was totally exhausted before I even started loop 2, but quitting is not an option, period, so I embarked, a grand total of just under 5 hours later, I crossed the finish line, never being so grateful to get off a motorcycle in my life. I had no idea that I was the only one in my class or that I had a trophy, I was exhausted, disgusted with myself for riding like an absolute joke, and desperate for rest and bbq.

Now, you can read all this and say boy that was really negative and whiny, and it is, but I'm still having fun racing an awesome series and hope that in the next few rounds I can ride like I feel like I know I can. Also, at this point I am the only rider in open b to survive 2/3 races, so I now find myself leading that class in points.

29103744_10214926074041672_2194001579789516800_n.jpg

on a non amateur note, Kendall Norman (baja legend and current privateer) won the overall by about 5 minutes, we lined up directly behind him on what they're calling the bomb, its one thing to hear about people who can ride a dirt bike like he can, it is another altogether to witness it, he has no use for the electric start on the crf450x, the bike was started by kicker in the same split second the banner dropped and what seemed like instantly he was out on the main course never to be seen by any competitor again, so fast he had clean air and so did 2nd place. just absolutely incredible for a guy who was retired mere months ago and is racing as a privateer against the absolute best in the desert, guys who have, compared to Kendall's budget, unlimited resources. It is a really cool coincidence, at least to me, that my first year in this series is one where I get to meet one of my childhood idols I still have a poster of him in his JCR days hanging on the wall.
I went down this hill, I had no idea you could send this hill, Kendall sent this hill.
It probably doesn't matter to anyone else (why should it) but one of the highlights for this year is getting to know a legend on a first name basis and being around the big names in this sport.
Viva la Kendall Norman
kenda_norman_HH_texas_2018_kariya-730x548.jpg

Last edited:
Great work Snowflake. i do miss chasing the nationals and racing against the best out there and in my day, there we quite a few of them. Good job not quitting and finishing the race. Rack and I have a friend who is chasing the youth series with his daughter. They drive 1300 miles one way for her bike to seize 1 mile in. that would blow.

Keep chasing the Nationals and i'll try to make a local one to me when they come around and see about finding you and do a meet and greet.

Great work Snowflake. i do miss chasing the nationals and racing against the best out there and in my day, there we quite a few of them. Good job not quitting and finishing the race. Rack and I have a friend who is chasing the youth series with his daughter. They drive 1300 miles one way for her bike to seize 1 mile in. that would blow.

Keep chasing the Nationals and i'll try to make a local one to me when they come around and see about finding you and do a meet and greet.
that would suck. I bet Liz knows them, somehow she knows everyone.

I'm pretty easy to find, just look for the shy ginger kid.