Nasty Pile up at WORCS race, Glen Helen

Ugly pile up. The guy on the Kawasaki really hits the pile hard:shocked: And that guy with the Gieco Honda, just waving at the end like um do you see me? Do you have any idea what just happen here?

Terrible conditions! That silty white dust is nasty stuff!

I think it was the faster riders that collided, making the impact even worse. It is a chaotic scene. If everyone helped one another focusing on picking up the bikes up front first, it would of been cleared up quicker. But instead every guy is trying to grab his own and it is a tangled mess. But also some guys were pretty stunned and hurt I think. It's all easy for me to say sitting in my livingroom. Adrenalin in racing, especially after crashing, your mind is in a different place sometimes. That Kawai guy looks like a rag doll!

the last guy it showed crashing did great over the bars endow......:shocked:......:crash:...looks like they all got out of it ok with maybe a few bumps and bruises. :thumb:

my friend posted this on FB as soon as they put the footage online... definitely nasty conditions! One guy commented on her post and said he was in it too and ended up knocking out like 5 teeth and fracturing a couple ribs, he was putting blame on WORCs and Glen Helen but hey it's OFFROAD racing theres going to be dust and you've just got to slow down and look out! I've been on that ridge and usually it's pretty nice from rain but not this year. Luckily I haven't heard any really bad news as far as injuries.

:shocked: Wow! That is just insane. Could have easily been several fatalities..
I can't image coming through the dust and seeing that..heart would skip some beats i'm sure.

damn you beat me to it! i was gonna post that. this is deffinatly a gnarly crash. hear it is from another POV

Another prospective. Thanks for the share.:thumb:

my friend posted this on FB as soon as they put the footage online... definitely nasty conditions! One guy commented on her post and said he was in it too and ended up knocking out like 5 teeth and fracturing a couple ribs, he was putting blame on WORCs and Glen Helen but hey it's OFFROAD racing theres going to be dust and you've just got to slow down and look out! I've been on that ridge and usually it's pretty nice from rain but not this year. Luckily I haven't heard any really bad news as far as injuries.

Yes, it's off-road racing and this is all part of it. Also a painful reality for some. Slowing down would be the answer but you wont be winning the race. And that should be ok because there are only a few who will/can be winners anyways, so why risk it? To be in 30th place instead of 50th?:noidea: to be hurt so you cant race the following week? These decisions are all part of racing too. This sport is damn exciting isnt it?!

Having dusty conditions out in desert racing is one thing but I think on a closed course like this they need to do something to help reduce this kind of a mess. I noticed some of the track had been watered and then you come to this stuff. :thumbsdown: Get some type of water up there to eliminate what could be some serious injuries.

I think it was a brain fart move on Glen Helen for sure. I wonder about lawsuits. But again, a small part of me says this IS all part of racing. Difficult terrain and situations arise where you have to use judgement. Part of racing IS deciding how to navigate those difficult sections of the course. Racing IS dangerous, period! Im not saying they shouldnt have watered it, Im just saying there are different ways to look at it, and in my opinion all valid points of view. I think some say this is all part of racing, and others say this is not acceptable. Im not sure what to think because I can understand it from both points of view. But being a "closed course," watering makes a little more sense to me because riders dont have a wide area (options) to go around.

James

Staff member
I think it was a brain fart move on Glen Helen for sure. I wonder about lawsuits. But again, a small part of me says this IS all part of racing. Difficult terrain and situations arise where you have to use judgement. Part of racing IS deciding how to navigate those difficult sections of the course. Racing IS dangerous, period! Im not saying they shouldnt have watered it, Im just saying there are different ways to look at it, and in my opinion all valid points of view. I think some say this is all part of racing, and others say this is not acceptable. Im not sure what to think because I can understand it from both points of view. But being a "closed course," watering makes a little more sense to me because riders dont have a wide area (options) to go around.
I don't think there's merit for a law suit (I slept at a Holiday Inn last night :P), it's racing. :noidea:

Everyone signed a waiver at the gate releasing Glen Helen the Club/organization from liability. Even spectators have to sign the waiver before entering the facility. This is all part of racing and if I read somewhere else, these guys were in the lower divisions and have a lot to learn about when to go fast and when to be cautious....