Injured Myself, short term memory loss

Last Saturday I went riding up at McCain valley in the mountains of San Diego for some trail riding. From what my friends tell me I was in the whoops got crossed up and bucked off the bike to land head first on the ground. (I didn't buckle my helmet) so my helmet fell off when I crashed and when my head hit the ground again I got knocked out for about 4 minutes.

When I was knocked out people are trying to say I had a seizure ( but doctors can't confirm if I did or didn't have one)

I was then life flighted to San Diego sharp hosipital and stayed there for the next few days. When I woke up from being knocked out I didn't remember the whole last year, only knew one of my friends that I was riding with.

I am know remembering up to that Friday but still can't remember the day of the crash nor the Sunday Monday and Tuesday after the crash. I get X-rays Monday to see if I Broke my wrist or no.

Doctor said I can't drive or go back to work till she says I can and she does not want me to ride for at least a few months

I'm doing better :) just wanted to post my story

damm dude.. thats not good :(.. i hope you get all your memory back... i suffer from STML as well but for different reasons :devil:

anyhow i ride coral canyon and pine valley a lot but never been to McCain. i gotta get out there sometime soon. you have any idea how long before you are safe to ride again?

Thanks, McCain is pretty fun trails and single track type trails. I'm hoping I will be riding again by end sept. cause that's when desert season starts and I plan on racing d38 lol. But it really depends on if I broke my wrist or not :/

Listen to the doc. Sounds like you had a pretty heavy duty concussion. Just a little worse and you might be dead. You need at least some down time to give you head a chance to heal. The thing is they can't really tell what's going on so you get a blanket treatment of take it easy. Really give it some time even if your wrist isn't broken.

The issue is unlike a damaged joint or tendon, your brain will not hurt and tell you to take it easy.

Thanks for the advice I think I will take a few extra months before even touching a bike maybe longer. Tell you guess the truth I'm scared out of my mind to ride again :/

@Peezy: I crashed 4th gear wide, and did a header. Busted my Bell helmet to shit! It was crushed as I hit a rock!

The next thing I knew, I was stumbling around about 50 yards from my bike, and a buddy was trying to collect me up, since I had no idea where I was at!

He was on a 4 wheeler, so I took that home, and he took my bike.

I'm sure that was a major concussion.

Hmmm...Maybe that explains my goofy thoughts to this day!

Buy the best helmet that you can beg, borrow, or steal money to buy!

I'm running a top of the line brain bucket now, because I found how important they are! Capishe?

James

Staff member
Brain trauma/concussions aren't something you mess with. Period. One of the biggest things you have to worry about is Multiple or Second-impact syndrome. Link This is when you hit your head again before its had a chance to fully heal. It can be fatal.

A few years ago I also crashed in the whoops, to this day I still don't know what exactly happened (was knocked out for a few seconds). I'd also destroyed my clavicle, which required surgery, so between the concussion and the heavy meds I don't remember much of that week. :lol:

As far as I know I didn't loose any parts of my life, however I did forgot a lot of peoples names. Can get a little embarrassing when you forget your friend's names. :bonk:

Brain trauma/concussions aren't something you mess with. Period. One of the biggest things you have to worry about is Multiple or Second-impact syndrome. Link This is when you hit your head again before its had a chance to fully heal. It can be fatal.

A few years ago I also crashed in the whoops, to this day I still don't know what exactly happened (was knocked out for a few seconds). I'd also destroyed my clavicle, which required surgery, so between the concussion and the heavy meds I don't remember much of that week. :lol:

As far as I know I didn't loose any parts of my life, however I did forgot a lot of peoples names. Can get a little embarrassing when you forget your friend's names. :bonk:
:noidea: I don't even know the guys I eat with and these weirdos who live in my house

:smirk:

Damn, yeah I'm going to take a good amount of time off the bike to full heal! It's scary to think what can happen if I hit my head again even if it was fully healed. I will be getting a good helmet, but does the higher price mean better protection or just cooler design, and more comfy? So far I still don't remember the Saturday I crash along with the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and some of the Wednesday after the crash :/

Got the X-rays. It waiting for the doctor to call to tell me if it's broken or not. Will let you guys know when I find out!

James

Staff member
I will be getting a good helmet, but does the higher price mean better protection or just cooler design, and more comfy?
This topic has been debated until after the cows came home.

Helmets are required to meet certain certifications, however that doesn't make them all equal as some helmets exceed those certs. The biggest thing to do is make sure that you replace your helmet after you've had a pretty good hit. Motocross helmets are designed for only one hit.

I personally like the Bell Moto 8's, especially when you can pick up last years model for less than half price.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/search/bell_moto_helmet

Also NEVER buy a used helmet.

1. Welcome to the forum, yah, better late than never.
2. Always buckle and or ware your helmet, who gives a shit about the law in other states.
3. I am very happy you are ok (somewhat) but DO take it EASY for a few months.
4. James is spot on about helmets, I replace and/or give mine away every three years or first big hit, price means nothing, it's the testing and standards of the shell. The different companies add the gutts and color to make it their own.
5. I forget, to many head hits and I am getting to old to remember it all.

:wave: Welcome to the forum if I have not said so yet.

Glad you are alright (so far) and make sure you follow up with your doctor to get officially cleared to ride again.

Boots and helmets in my mind are the most important and should not be skimped on. You race D38 desert and hit some high speeds, you are likely to have another get off at high speeds. I was a regular on the D37 desert scene years ago and had a couple 5th gear tapped get offs :shocked:. I have broke a few toes playing soccer in the rock gardens as well. When you race, boots and helmets should be replaced on a regular basis.

Hell up quick and best of luck in your future racing...:ride:

I agree, once i am able to ride again i will be buying new helmet and boots. I already have a Neck Brace which I never ride without. I don't want to have another major crash, but I don't want to stop riding or give up trying to race. :/

Wrist is killing me, got x-rays yesterday and the doctor has yet called to tell me if it is broken or not ugh!

James

Staff member
Wrist is killing me, got x-rays yesterday and the doctor has yet called to tell me if it is broken or not ugh!
Sounds like you need a doc that can read your x-rays in front of you right after you took them. :smirk: I love my Ortho center. :lol:

Sounds like you need a doc that can read your x-rays in front of you right after you took them. :smirk: I love my Ortho center. :lol:
Well this is a military medical center, they have to send you to your primary care doctor to tell you to get the x-rays, then send you cross town to go get the x-rays, then send you home to wait for your primary care doctor to review the x-rays then send it to someone who can read the x-rays then tell the pcd to call me to let them know whats up lol