My attempt at titanium head pipe straighting by freezer method.

I poked around on a few forums and read about straightening out head pipes by filling them with water and putting them in the freezer. I noticed fewer posts from people with titanium pipes, but with success regardless. I though this could be a reference for those of you interested in knowing if you can straighten out a titanium head pipe with a dent like mine. Some think my dent is too big. Some say the titanium is so hard it wont budge. Some say it will work just fine. Some say fill it completely and cap the ends, some say tape the ends, some say leave them open and fill it with water just above the dent. Some say it can crack welds. Some say it takes a few sessions in the freezer.

I decided to fill it just above the dent and leave then ends open. I just put it in the freezer a few minutes ago. So I will report back and let you know.

IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

My mom would freak if she opened my freezer right now:lol:
Oh and just for the record, this particular time the dent is from dropping down in between rocks not crashing onto them. When I do crash it least I have my ice packs ready and a cold mug for a beer:devil:

I can see filling it completely and capping the ends may possibly work. Filling it just above the dent and freezing is not going to do anything because the water expands when it freezes so it will just expand out the towards the ends of the pipe. I don't know how you would cap the ends sufficiently to keep them from popping off once the water freezes either. I will be interested to see how this works for you.

I can see filling it completely and capping the ends may possibly work. Filling it just above the dent and freezing is not going to do anything because the water expands when it freezes so it will just expand out the towards the ends of the pipe. I don't know how you would cap the ends sufficiently to keep them from popping off once the water freezes either. I will be interested to see how this works for you.

That is what I thought, but several said it works without capping. Thats the funny part, everyone says something different lol We shall see. Then maybe I will try it capped.

The whole thing is confusing with all the conflicting info. Im in "wing it" mode!

well hopefully wingit mode will work, unlike a 2t expansion chamber has a much larger surface area so dents tend to be a little easier to get out. hopefully this will work for you :thumb:

Ive seen this done on the net too. As said many ideas on how to get it done. You are doing it the safe way. If it doesnt work then melt it out and add more water for the second try. I also saw that many times it took 2-3 freeze sessions melting and adding water back to get the dent all out. The freeze only moves a little with each try so a few tries gets it done.

Try it the way you were going to as I just read something very interesting regarding this technique. Keep us posted.
Will do:thumb:
well hopefully wingit mode will work, unlike a 2t expansion chamber has a much larger surface area so dents tend to be a little easier to get out. hopefully this will work for you :thumb:
Yeah that is what I thought which is part of my doubt.

Ive seen this done on the net too. As said many ideas on how to get it done. You are doing it the safe way. If it doesnt work then melt it out and add more water for the second try. I also saw that many times it took 2-3 freeze sessions melting and adding water back to get the dent all out. The freeze only moves a little with each try so a few tries gets it done.
Yes, this is what I read too. I figure worse case the weld cracks or it doesnt come out at all. Ideally neither of the two but would prefer not at all so I can take it to someone to fix it for cheap, and not some "special titanium" guy.

My son just came marching in and says "he knows!" Tells me "it is going to need to be capped off" and then proceeded to :rant:take the pipe out of the freezer and add more water to it!:rolleyes:Kids I tell ya!

Is it done yet?

Hey Sun - You weren't out to lunch a couple hours ago at a little Mexican restaurant just past the corner of Kanan and Agoura where you?

Its a shame you cant do it like I do my 2T head pipes. Cap off one end. Install a plug with an air fitting on the other. Apply some air pressure (nitrogen works best) about 40 PSI. Heat dented area evenly with Acetiline torch. And watch the dent pop out. Takes about an hour start to finish depending on how big the dent or dents are.

Its a shame you cant do it like I do my 2T head pipes. Cap off one end. Install a plug with an air fitting on the other. Apply some air pressure (nitrogen works best) about 40 PSI. Heat dented area evenly with Acetiline torch. And watch the dent pop out. Takes about an hour start to finish depending on how big the dent or dents are.

Yes, I saw that too:thumb: Seems like a great method. I dont see me doing that though, since I dont have a Acetiline torch and dont plan on buying one anytime soon:smirk: Unless:thinking:can I torch Creme Brulee with one?