Mx track technique

Hello lads and gals a few questions based on tekkers.

Mx track cornering - weight on the outside peg, look at the exit (how do I have my elbows and body positioned?)

Straights - stand up if bumpy, sit down if not, pin it. Keep body relaxed and grip tank with knees.

Jumping - not a clue, stand up on lip of jump?

Any more info I could get on these would be great as I’m a beginner!
Thanks

Turns:
Elbows up weight slightly forward.

Straights: always standing using your legs pinch the bike.

Jumping: Standing mostly until you learn to seat bounce.

Gary Semics Moto videos will do you wonders!

On jumps with a kicker, I stay on the gas untill the rear wheel has left the face of the jump, you can feel when the font wheel hits one of those things and react with the throttle accordingly...... With no kicker I stay on the gas untill the font wheel has cleared the jump. Start on the smaller jumps and once you've gotten a handle on how the bike handles in the air and landings, you can go bigger. There are ways of controlling the bike in the air, but for a beginner stay on the smaller stuff untill you've got a grip on it.

First thing is to set your sag, and after that, set your front clickers to compress and rebound evenly. You don't want it to rebound too slowly, or to bounce back.
Ride with your jock up front- make the front tire dig in, it will slide and push and you can weight it and dig it in harder. The more weight you put on it the better it will dig. stay aggressive.
Best to find an open area and do circles and figure eights. Get up on the tank lift your inside leg and get a feel for your front tire relationship with the ground. Feel it try to slide and push and overcome the panic feeling with technique. Push it to the edge of
contact. With your inside leg up, press your other foot into the peg and try to lift your butt. You won't be able to, but your body weight
will get transferred from the seat to the peg and lower center of gravity. Your legs will start to burn and your boots will be made of concrete. Welcome to motocross!
get used to it on the flat, and when you get to the berms it will feel so much easier.
Jumps are for show turns are for go. you nail the turns and you will cruise the jumps.

Rode on a sand track today, feel like I’m not getting any better and it’s p*****g me off so much. I just look like a donut on the track and that’s even with beginners.

I managed to get to grips with the bike sliding round a lot more in the sand than what it does on my usual track which is like a mix. I just can’t seem to master finding a line, shifting and speed in/out corners.

When I exit a corner, how do I shift if I am standing up? Do I try and shift before standing up or is there a technique to it whilst standing.

I’ve got loads of questions just wish I had a riding friend who was experienced!!! I’m going to start a video log of me riding when I next come home from offshore. My objective this year is to be able to start keeping up with fellow beginners and not fall back and get lapped :)

Rode on a sand track today, feel like I’m not getting any better and it’s p*****g me off so much. I just look like a donut on the track and that’s even with beginners.

I managed to get to grips with the bike sliding round a lot more in the sand than what it does on my usual track which is like a mix. I just can’t seem to master finding a line, shifting and speed in/out corners.

When I exit a corner, how do I shift if I am standing up? Do I try and shift before standing up or is there a technique to it whilst standing.

I’ve got loads of questions just wish I had a riding friend who was experienced!!! I’m going to start a video log of me riding when I next come home from offshore. My objective this year is to be able to start keeping up with fellow beginners and not fall back and get lapped :)

Sand can be a handful if you don't ride it right....basically On the gas all the time though, doesn't have to be WOT, but you have to have power to the ground the whole time or you'll wash out, it's a work out on the fore arms as well.....as far as the shifting while standing, I'm not sure, guess I'm not thinking about shifting most of the time, it just happens. But Nedge has it right, keep riding and the bike will more and more become comfortable to you, give it enough time and it will become an extension of you.

Last edited:

I just went riding yesterday and this post was on my mind. I realized that most of my shifts happen while standing. I shift my weight on to my right foot and grip the tank with my knees. That frees up the left foot to shift. The left knee might slide around on the tank some whilst the foot is shifting, but it maintains gripping pressure. The whole process probably takes less than a second. :ride:

I just went riding yesterday and this post was on my mind. I realized that most of my shifts happen while standing. I shift my weight on to my right foot and grip the tank with my knees. That frees up the left foot to shift. The left knee might slide around on the tank some whilst the foot is shifting, but it maintains gripping pressure. The whole process probably takes less than a second. :ride:

I'm guessing I'm the same, it's just hard to recall how it's done when your sitting on the couch, kind of like explaining how you tie your shoes to somebody.