More Newb Questions (Rear shock)

Hi,

Riding this weekend I noticed a slight squeak from my rear shock. 2013 TTR230 just over 20 hours on the bike. I can hear it when the shock compresses maybe 15-25% of the way and then stops. Not handy enough yet to take it apart (I don't think anyways). Should I run it to the shop?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

Riding this weekend I noticed a slight squeak from my rear shock. 2013 TTR230 just over 20 hours on the bike. I can hear it when the shock compresses maybe 15-25% of the way and then stops. Not handy enough yet to take it apart (I don't think anyways). Should I run it to the shop?

Cheers,

Tim

Obviously you're not REVVING it up loud enough..... kind of like turning up the radio in your truck! takes care of most if not all noises!!!! :prof:

So in true form to my life where nothing is easy, the bolts are stuck in place. I am able to bang them backwards but I didn't remove them completely for fear of not getting them back in. I'm guessing once they're cleaned/lubed it'll be easy to get them back in.

SRAD97750

Staff member
So in true form to my life where nothing is easy, the bolts are stuck in place. I am able to bang them backwards but I didn't remove them completely for fear of not getting them back in. I'm guessing once they're cleaned/lubed it'll be easy to get them back in.
Post a photo.

Which bolts? Don't pull out just any bolt, there may be pin bearings in there!-BIG DAN:thumb:

IMG_2445_zps73e5237c.jpg

It also looks like the shock connects in the area of that top bolt. The blue you see on that bolt was a bit of grease I put on it to see if I could free it up a bit. The one thing I didn't try was lifting the rear wheel a bit to see if that helps.

SRAD97750

Staff member
It also looks like the shock connects in the area of that top bolt. The blue you see on that bolt was a bit of grease I put on it to see if I could free it up a bit. The one thing I didn't try was lifting the rear wheel a bit to see if that helps.

Yeah, wiggle the rear wheel up and down as you manipulate the bolts. Don't pull the bolts out all the way, and just finger some grease in there. Then push the bolts back in and spin them a few times. That should do it. -BIG DAN:thumb:

No, no cracks it was just some dirt. I did wiggle the rear tire around a bit to free the bolts some. It wasn't enough to stop the squeak so I'll either have a go at the taking the linkage out for a proper wash/grease or run to the shop. I call the place I bought it and they didn't grease the linkage the factory did. Now I know, next bike grease linkage ASAP or have the shop do it before pickup.