South Moonless-Moonlight Madness Night Ride 8/3

That would be an interesting ride. I wonder what type of trails they take you on? Some of those more technical trails could be sketchy at night time with only a head light. :prof:

It's about a 100 mile ride. That can cover a good percentage of the trail system. I would imagine that it has hard and easy options in spots. I'd go for any of the trails up there at night. With decent lighting mountain trails are great. Like you say I do drop it down a notch on the difficulty. You really need better than stock lighting. I'm sure it could be done on stock lighting, but it would not be nearly as fun.

I would add a helmet light if were to do trails in the dark. You can look where the bike is not pointing and see what path to take.

:thumb: Agreed. I have some good helmet lights I use when MTB riding and would mount one up for an event like this. This is another reason I have been kicking around upgrading my stock light on #5 Jr. I would like to do one of these or two. Also, they use to run a night time desert race series out here in CA and CDA Jr and I were going to look into those, but I think they stopped it this year.

:thumb: Also, they use to run a night time desert race series out here in CA and CDA Jr and I were going to look into those, but I think they stopped it this year.
A race through the desert at night time. :cripple: I can not imagine going at a high rate of speed wondering where the next drop off may be or some sneaky rock waiting to jump out of the sand.

Actually riding on a cliff trail isn't that bad at night. Instead of seeing a giant drop all you see is darkness.

A race through the desert at night time. :cripple: I can not imagine going at a high rate of speed wondering where the next drop off may be or some sneaky rock waiting to jump out of the sand.

Once on a night ride from Charlie's place to the Husky I hit a bowling ball sized rock that I never saw. It was on the worst of the whooped out pipeline road between Spangler and Red Mtn. I was lucky as I didn't go down or smash my rim. I was deflected at about a 45 degree angle off the trail. Didn't have a helmet light and it would have helped see down into the bottoms of those black whoops.

I've done a few football field to Charlie's and back runs at night. Always stayed on the single track. Ran stock exc lighting. Things would get exciting every now and then.