Metal in clutch cover

image.jpeg image.jpeg :jawdrop:Pulled off the clutch cover and discovered this chunk. I started taking off the clutch and got to this point n noticed the 2nd pic. Think I found the problem? The washer lock behind the nut was all tore up. Had to bend it off the edge of the nut just for a socket to fit.

Im going to pull the basket and see what else that chunk came from. It's aluminum though magnet won't pick it up. Just looked like a big chunk to me. Dunno what it could possibly be.

That washer is supposed to be folded up around the nut to keep it from backing off while running. But it seems you do need to replace it now.
I understand that, I found glitter shavings in the oil filter so that's why I took off the clutch cover to begin with. Just trying to get some help. Thought maybe a piece of the washer was the chunk of metal.

Clutch basket or pressure plate is where I'd put my money on a chunk of ally that size!
Push rod, clutch actuator and bearings would be my next check if it is clutch basket related!
Which bike is it?

Last edited:
I haven't gotten that nut off yet. Buddy didn't show up with impact. I'll borrow a basket holder tomorrow. Once that's off is that where I should be looking? All the plates and everything that's came off before that pic looked just fine.

And no magnet wouldn't pick them up, I checked so it's aluminum.

I haven't gotten that nut off yet. Buddy didn't show up with impact. I'll borrow a basket holder tomorrow. Once that's off is that where I should be looking? All the plates and everything that's came off before that pic looked just fine.

And no magnet wouldn't pick them up, I checked so it's aluminum.

Pretty much has to have come from inside there somewhere. After you get the basket off, inspect it the case,look for scoring, grinding, missing thrust washers, just a good close inspection. If you don't find anything like that, I guess it's possible that foreign materiel made it in there at some point. But I'm guessing it's a chunk of basket.

Pretty much has to have come from inside there somewhere. After you get the basket off, inspect it the case,look for scoring, grinding, missing thrust washers, just a good close inspection. If you don't find anything like that, I guess it's possible that foreign materiel made it in there at some point. But I'm guessing it's a chunk of basket.

I appreciate the input man, everyone I'll check in tomorrow with results. It's a sigh of relief I was thinking something was serious wrong.