250F Loosing oil, somewere?!

Hi guys,

So ment to be going on my bike tomorrow. Thought I would do some pre checks and check oil etc. Warmed the bike up. Checked the dipstick. Nothing on there ...

Drained the oil and it must have only been 300ml come out the sump .....

Prior to draining oil I checked sump and any metal work surround and found no leaks ...

Making me think piston rings?
I notice when I rev high i get a very slight but of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Or maybe on the last oil change I must not have put enough in ... always a factor (human error)

How can I narrow this down to find out the problem without stripping engine???

Thanks guys and girls

Put the correct amount in the bike per the manual.
Go for a ride (good one) and measure again per the manual.
Check to see if any oil is comming out a breather.
If not, I would say you loosing it through the burn.
Hows the compression? Check it per the manual.

Ok I’ll do that tomorrow. Bit nervous about it all though :(
I can move the kick start down with my arm with a bit of effort. Other than that I wouldn’t know how to measure it all, there is a fair kick to the exhaust once the bike is running, it blows paper etc haha

I can move the kick start down with my arm with a bit of effort. Other than that I wouldn’t know how to measure it all, there is a fair kick to the exhaust once the bike is running

Had it around a year. Nothing like that been checked only oil and air filter. I’m not a crazy rider. I must have been the track 3 times last year and that’s it.
Time for an engine rebuild are you thinking?

I can move the kick start down with my arm with a bit of effort. Other than that I wouldn’t know how to measure it all, there is a fair kick to the exhaust once the bike is running
You might be able to rent a compression unit from a auto parts house.
You might as well just understand, that bikes need maintenance more than a woman. (I'm talking riding hours men).

Drain the transmission also. Dont rip into it yet do what Palmer said, change both oils put a couple of hours in it and check.
Learn how to measure your clearances, don’t get complacent. An ounce of prevention as they say.

I went out on it today, oil hasn’t gone down since topping up. I will change both again tomorrow and monitor. I’ll take it the shop for engine rebuild anyway I think and start from 0 hours

I went out on it today, oil hasn’t gone down since topping up. I will change both again tomorrow and monitor. I’ll take it the shop for engine rebuild anyway I think and start from 0 hours
Save your money, and learn your bike. The price of the OEM mechanics repair manual, and a handfull of tools, will be cheaper than a service department hourly rate.