Lookout Towers

So today i took my first ride to a lookout tower, Was puking and getting sick on the way which really took away from my experience but it was still really awesome views. Met the tower lookout volunteer and she let us up into the tower. AMAZING 360 degree views. I puked off the edge and the volunteer gave me some asprin type stuff for my headache.

anyway i found this site http://www.socalfirelookouts.org/index.html ... :rocker: after i go back to the Los Pinos(where i was today) tower when i feel better i would eventually like to tour these look out tower spots someday. I think Towers make a awesome ride. Not that the ride up to the tower is all that spectacular as its usually just fireroads but the ride getting there is fun.

anyone else rode up to a lookout ?

ohh and here is my post from the what did you do to your bike today thread.
went on a solo ride staging at pine valley again this morning. I met a couple riders who were resting before the decent down kernan cycle trail so i asked if they mind if i tag along. they said sure. Rode to 4 corners then to spur meadows trail and from there we rode up to the los pinos look out tower. On spur meadows trail out of no where i start puking and getting a headache :foul: i rest for a second then take the lead so im not sucking on 2stroke smoke. We make it up to the tower(not my pics... i forgot the gopro at home today)
922422275_kEhmw-L.jpg

we get there and a ranger is inthe tower and invites us up. So we go up and say hello while enjoying the amazing views that are offered in a 3 story lookout tower that is on top of a peak. here is what the inside looks like... this was not the ranger that was there tho.
922420107_G8XPQ-L.jpg

and one of the aweseom views from up in the tower...
922420299_DqDGR-L.jpg

if i wasnt feeling so shitty it would have been pretty epic. Kinda hard to fully enjoy a spot like that when you are puking over the edge of the tower rail and your head is pounding.

There is a lookout in Sequoia NF which is no longer operated for fire protection. They actually rent it out which is pretty cool. If you plan on riding from it you do need a plate though as you have to go a few miles to hit trails.

I love lookout towers. The coolest one I have been to was the Sierra Buttes Lookout near Downiville. It sits at 8947ft. elevation and when you walk around the other side of the catwalk you look down through the grates, and it's a 1000 ft. sheer drop. It's unmanned though. I like the manned ones where you can get the cool tour. Nice ride and thanks for sharing.

There is a lookout in Sequoia NF which is no longer operated for fire protection. They actually rent it out which is pretty cool. If you plan on riding from it you do need a plate though as you have to go a few miles to hit trails.

hummm.... i might have to get more info outa you about that. One day that would be really fun to do.... So you can stay the night in the lookout?

I love lookout towers. The coolest one I have been to was the Sierra Buttes Lookout near Downiville. It sits at 8947ft. elevation and when you walk around the other side of the catwalk you look down through the grates, and it's a 1000 ft. sheer drop. It's unmanned though. I like the manned ones where you can get the cool tour. Nice ride and thanks for sharing.
after finding that site http://www.socalfirelookouts.org/page3.html is the highest one still operational in socal at 6142 feet. The one you mentioned sounds really awesome... post up some pics if you get the chance.

hummm.... i might have to get more info outa you about that. One day that would be really fun to do.... So you can stay the night in the lookout?

I checked out quite a few last year in Idaho. My son stayed a weekend in one, had a whole page of instructions for what to do/not do in a lightning storm!:devil:

What's with the bile? Been hanging with redswr?

I checked out quite a few last year in Idaho. My son stayed a weekend in one, had a whole page of instructions for what to do/not do in a lightning storm!:devil:

What's with the bile? Been hanging with redswr?

i know right... i really dont know wtf was going on except i didint hydrate the night before and it was a little hotter then it said it would be on the web sites. I had only eaten a banana for breakfast. One thing it could have been is i was drinking soda the day before when i dont really ever drink soda. That could have been it. It could have been from sucking on the 2t fumes as well. I was following the guy i met out there pretty close, after i stopped and puked the first time we rested then got back on the trail and almost instantly i felt sick again. Then wehn i took the lead i was fine, till i started getting fatigued on some of the rougher stuff.

we really need to meet up and ride sometime tho baja. i know i met you once but i didnt really have a bike to ride then. hows KM sound towards the end of july... i could really use a great KM guide :P

we really need to meet up and ride sometime tho baja. i know i met you once but i didnt really have a bike to ride then. hows KM sound towards the end of july... i could really use a great KM guide :P

where's pbk these days? start up a thread on a km long wkend get together dba style and let's get it planned. I hope to get up there 2 or 3 more times this summer.....
also, i have some baja plans for july, interested?

where's pbk these days? start up a thread on a km long wkend get together dba style and let's get it planned. I hope to get up there 2 or 3 more times this summer.....
also, i have some baja plans for july, interested?

PBK is a truck driver now. hes hurting for :ride: as hes out on the road for a few weeks at a time. he called me up with the perfect timing about a month ago, i had 2 days away and he had 3 days at home. So i drove to vegas and we rode logandale, a short ride by nelson then a spot by mt charlston. He was hurtin after what i threw him into :lol:

The wife has the last week of July off but the weekend is my sons birthday. We were planning to do 3 or 4 days at KM but midweek as the wife has to work on both sundays. I know its tough for you guys to do midweek rides like that :(

Baja as in mexico? ahh shit either way if i can get away im fully down for something... whats going on?