Looking to buy a cheap bike. Few questions

So I am looking to buy a very very very cheap bike. (probably no more than 500) and there are a few 50cc/125cc bikes but Im not crazy about the pit bikes. Looking at a 1999 cr80 that the seller says runs but it "Lost its compression." What does this mean? Also theres a few other bikes that I'm looking at that says it needs a throttle cable. How much would this cost and how difficult would it be to install myself. Thank you

SRAD97750

Staff member
So I am looking to buy a very very very cheap bike. (probably no more than 500) and there are a few 50cc/125cc bikes but Im not crazy about the pit bikes.
If you aren't interested in a chinese pitbike, you're looking at ~$1000 for a running/operable motorcycle.
You can find many bikes for $400-500, but you're going to need tires, cables, topend, etc...
It adds up really quickly, especially if it's a new bike to you, you'll find 100 things you want to fix.
Expect $1000 and be happy if you can get it for under that budget.

Looking at a 1999 cr80 that the seller says runs but it "Lost its compression." What does this mean? ... that says it needs a throttle cable. How much would this cost and how difficult would it be to install myself.
The low compression means the piston/rings minimum need attention/replacement.
A throttle or clutch cable is $20 and easily installed yourself.

Happy riding, and post up what you do finally decide to ride! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Its not like I dont want a chinese pit bike. I'd have no problems with it. The sole purpose of this bike is so I can ride like 30 miles out into the desert for excursions. Just dont know how comfortable it would be to ride a pit bike all that time.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Its not like I dont want a chinese pit bike. I'd have no problems with it. The sole purpose of this bike is so I can ride like 30 miles out into the desert for excursions. Just dont know how comfortable it would be to ride a pit bike all that time.
Yep, exactly my point. I have a ton if pitbikes but none of them leave line of sight from the trucks. I got a real bike for that. :thumb:

Like Dan says, you can get a bike for that low price but you will end up putting another $500 or more just to make it run and ride correctly. Why would you want a little pit bike to ride 30 miles out into the desert in the first place? Save your money and get something more of a decent motorcycle.

Unless I was in shape to walk 30 miles through the desert, willing to walk 30 miles through the desert, had time to walk thirty miles through the desert, wanted to walk 30 miles through the desert, I wouldnt' ride a $500 dollar bike 30 miles out into the desert.

If you break down 30 miles out in the desert you would at least have the time to walk out......don't know about the other 3 though.

30 miles into the desert on a $500 bike and with limited skill or mechanical knowledge is not a good idea. That's a life or death situation for a greenhorn.
Expect to pay around 1200-1500 for a running bike capable of running that distance and spending another 2-500 making it reliable.