Learning my 2 stroke!!!

Ok long story short, my bro and I always wanted to ride dirt bikes. Got my first bike to ride and learn on about year and a half ago, 2000 Yz250! I LOVE the bike. Tons of power, handles well and LOTS of fun to ride. But because I'm a newbie, I had no idea whats what on the bike. So thankfully with the help of great guys on the forum, I learning how my 2 stroke in and out now (I hope lol) So I have never done anything to the bike other than clean the air filter every couple rides and change the oil every few rides. But I've noticed that my compression has been getting weaker on me as the rides progress so I wanted to change the top end for peace of mind. After learning that shops rape you in labor costs, I'm doing my own top end rebuild (actually just helping out Big Dan as he shows me :smirk::prof::hail:). So today was day one of the rebuild! :thumb: This morning we tore the bike down and we were shocked to see how good condition the internals were in! Bike still had a stock pison and it look like new! Granted my bro and I don't ride to hard (Fire road champs as he calls us! :smirk:) Got to love blue bikes! :ride: So I'm gunna take some pics right now of how the bike looks for starters! And tonight I'm ordering the new goods!

This is the top end I'm going with, thanks to palmer for the link!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISECO-TOP-...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae432dd86#ht_1352wt_907

And need to order the air boot that attaches to the carb. but can't seem to find one online. Any advice on where to buy one?

So here a couple pics of the bike now.

The cylinder looked great still as well as the piston!

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 52
Nice! It always feels accomplishing when you do your own work. That piston did look pretty good, not any scoring along the sides that i could see. Keep us updated and the pics coming!

SRAD97750

Staff member
I really enjoy working on motors and lending a hand to those who are eager to learn. I have helped out a few DBAers in the past and I'm willing to assist any DBAer in the future.

Oil retention is crucial when mating new rings with a cylinder. I will be performing the hone job in my shop. :thumb:
The bottom end bearing read 0.000" on the dial indicator.
Also, there was ZERO scoring or wear on the piston skirt. :shocked: But we decided that a new piston is a good choice since the piston removed was an oem ART piston, and there is no record/theory of it's age.

John, that kit is just what you need. As far as the intake boot is concerned, I'll do some research...

I was going to reashure you that doing a top end isnt hard (and it isnt). And can be done with simple hand tools. But since your in the capable of Big Dan.............. I would just do everything he tells you too. You probably dont even really need to hone it. If the cylinder has any glazing on it some scotch brite (green scrubbie pads) and some WD 40, and a little elbow grease will remove it. Now that I think about it you will need one special tool, too complete your rebuild. And that will be a torque wrench. In mine and Big Dans professions using german torque (good and tight) is a no no. And when it comes to your engine, thats not a place to guess on how tight something is. But since Big Dan is taking care of you on this one your in good hands.

SRAD97750

Staff member
...Now that I think about it you will need one special tool, too complete your rebuild. And that will be a torque wrench. In mine and Big Dans professions using german torque (good and tight) is a no no. And when it comes to your engine, thats not a place to guess on how tight something is. But since Big Dan is taking care of you on this one your in good hands.

Torque wrench calibrated and in hand... I love that "click-click"...