Leaking Oil

James

Staff member
One night last week I changed my oil and the next day I noticed some oil on the ground. Figured I'd just spilled some, while refilling it, so I didn't think much of it. Also put in some more oil as it looked a little low.

Then this past weekend I noticed a little black oil spot on the trailer when I got home. After checking out the bottom of the case I noticed some oil on the engine and also the skid plate. This is when I started to think that I had a leak somewhere. :( (Added some more oil)

So today when I went into the garage I see this (and the sight glass is low): :foul:

dirt-bike-leaking-oil.jpg

Where could this be coming from? Case gasket, overflow hose, somewhere else that I'm not aware of?

One thing I did notice is that it seemed to be focused around the drain bolt area (yes it's tight) and don't ever remember seeing this seal [92065]. What's the chances of it leaking from there?

crankcase-seal.png

they're pretty high.
my honda had a vinyl seal ring on the transmission and after a couple oil changes gone good I noticed it leaking from there. replaced it and all is good again.

One night last week I changed my oil and the next day I noticed some oil on the ground. Figured I'd just spilled some, while refilling it, so I didn't think much of it. Also put in some more oil as it looked a little low.

Then this past weekend I noticed a little black oil spot on the trailer when I got home. After checking out the bottom of the case I noticed some oil on the engine and also the skid plate. This is when I started to think that I had a leak somewhere. :( (Added some more oil)

So today when I went into the garage I see this (and the sight glass is low): :foul:

View attachment 9467

Where could this be coming from? Case gasket, overflow hose, somewhere else that I'm not aware of?

One thing I did notice is that it seemed to be focused around the drain bolt area (yes it's tight) and don't ever remember seeing this seal [92065]. What's the chances of it leaking from there?

View attachment 9468
You should have the gasket. You can get one, drain the oil and place new gasket on and fill it back up. Or drain oil, make a gasket out of some hi-temp silicone, let dry and fill up. If oil leak is gone, problem solved.

If that's not it. Usually the first thing to start leaking is the front sprocket shaft seal... Or the shift shaft seal.

Either way a bottle of stop leak should fix you up :wink:

This sounds nuts, but if it came right after an oil change, are you sure all your drain bolts and such are tight? I know that mine even looked tight and oil was getting out before.

This sounds nuts, but if it came right after an oil change, are you sure all your drain bolts and such are tight? I know that mine even looked tight and oil was getting out before.

This is in his first post.

James, if you do not remember seeing the oring seal then perhaps it fell into the oil when changing it. You need this gizmo.