Late model Dodge RAM with the CUMMINS Diesel

Who here has a Dodge with the Cummins in it... preferably a late model (6.7 liter)?

Because of my age and mileage on my current truck I am considering buying one as my "last truck". Knowing diesels will last you forever )if taken care of properly) I won't be able to afford a new truck after I retire... so I am looking towards this truck. Figured if I bought it now it'd be paid off well before I throw in the towel so I don't have that looming over my head.

Ram 2500/3500
Laramie trim(I think)
4x4
6.7 Cummins
6 spd auto
Mega cab (6.4' bed) not necessary but it's what I like

Should be able to drag my TH anywhere I want to go without me going postal on the guy in front of me dragging ASS NEXT to the truck lane instead of IN IT!

Not too keen on Ford these days with all the problems they've had with the 6.0... really gave them a black eye... Would consider the Chevy/GMC as option 1...

Give me some opinions?

Wait, do we respond if we are talking Dodge or did you open it up to Chevy/GMC with that last sentence? :noidea:

Well I have an:
2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 standard bed.
6.6 turbo diesel

It drags my 41' 11" mobile house down the road with no problem while full of gear and liquids.

If we were not suppose to respond unless we are talking about a Dodge, well......then.........Forget I posted.

Problem with Dodge is they put a crappy transmission into a great engine and truck. The trans will only last 60-80 thousand while the motor will do over 300, if you go w/OD it will add an extra 1,400.00 to the rebuild. My Dodge Van only lasted 65K before it started leaking and that is why I got the LC, cost 2500 to rebuild the bitch and then I sold it for 5000.

I'm not a Cummins fan. They might be okay now, but the experience I've had with their larger sister engines, leads me to just say no.

Rez. I own a 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9 liter 325hp 600ftlb tq. Has 130,000 + on the Odometer. Ive done all the services on it that would normally be done by the dealer. Front rear diff, and the T case. Only thing I didnt do till recently was change the Trans fluid and filter. I was forced into that. There are 2 solenoids that tell the trans when and how to shift and they started to fail. Those are the only issues with that Dodge 48RE transmission. So to the shop it went. $500 later Im back on the road with bigger and better shifting Solenoids, fresh trans fluid and filter.

Ok done with story time. I know you said you wanted to buy new. But 2004 and a 1/2 through early 2007 are the most desirable Dodge trucks with the Cummins. The 6.7's have had alot of issues and arent very desirable. Let me put it this way. I get about 2 times a year for the last 3 years, letters from the local area Dodge dealers saying that my year make model truck is in high demand and very desirable. We would like to buy your truck and but you in a new 6.7 of your choice or any other blah blah blah blah. So that being said. Im not telling you to not get the 6.7 Cummins. Theyve been out now for a while and Im sure that any bugs that they did have, have been worked out. But if you can get a low mileage 5.9 in the years I mentioned thats the ticket.

I use my truck for everything. I pull my 28ft heavy ass 5th wheel, and my 19ft boat at the same time with ZERO issues. It has done everything Ive asked of it except get beyond realistic fuel economy. But I still see 22-24 on the freeway empty, and about 12 pulling the double trailer set up.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

My family has an 06 dodge cummins 5.9, only about 63k on the clock but it's reliable and tows great. Now I don't mean to go full on idiot but my dad has been an auto mechanic since time began (he's ancient) and has been ASE certified since the beginning of time as well, and for reasons I couldn't quote him accurately on his opinion is that the 5.9 is tons better than the 6.7 .

Cummins is a solid platform and Dodge makes a decent vehicle. The Cummins is loud and obnoxious, but if you can deal with it then have at it though I think the newer ones run larger water jackets and oil galleys to quiet them down. Dodge has its weak points like Trannies, differentials, and transfer cases as well as a lighter duty frame, but if that's what you want to grab then have at it.
I have had chevy diesels in the past and HATED THEM! I never liked the feel and handling of their vehicles as I felt it was more suited to soccer moms and dads. I always felt I was driving a couch that I could never be comfortable on. That being said I think the new diesels are made by Isuzu which is a proven performer (My Father loved Isuzu diesels). That coupled with a great transmission package leaves very little to complain about... They do have transfer case and rear end issues as they aren't really designed to work as hard as they claim to be.

Now my 2005 Ford 6.0 powerstroke with 8ft bed. I absolutely love this truck. I have owned them all and this is my favorite of all time. 1st one I ever kept over a 75k miles and I'll do whatever it takes to keep it. 250k miles on currently and that's 250k HARD miles. I change the oil every 10k and use diesel conditioner in it. I let it warm up 15 mins in winter and 10 in the summer. No cold rolls with this girl. I have had issues with her though. at 150K needed a tranny and shortly after 1 injector and FICM. @ 200k I needed another Inj and an Alternator.
Now at just about 250k I have an issue that I cant track down... It may be another injector but it also may be a head gasket. I haven't got that far in to it yet. I need this truck to earn my living and without it I'm lost so I'm going to buy another one just like it.

Rez Pick a truck you like, Good fuel and fuelconditioner and Rotella in the sump. Its a diesel so let her warm up, and work her all the time and you'll be happy. :thumb:

The only issues I have ever seen with the Dodge's is transmission and electrical. I towed a then brand new 2011 Dodge 3500 that had the transmission literally explode, the only thing left was a few pieces of the bell housing and wires. I've seen a lot of them have issues with the fuel injection (what I'm not sure, I only tow them) where they spit and sputter and build no power, guessing FICM.

They Chevy is the least desirable in the bunch to me, even though I love the isuzu diesel and the allison auto, the fact that its IFS is a big turn off to me. And the one that bugs me the most doing lots of towing/hauling, is the small fuel tank, stopping for fuel every 200 miles or so

The newer Fords are ok they just get asstacular mileage due to the fact that the fuel injectors fire twice during the 4 cycles to help it run cleaner. The older 6.0 can be built to be a reliable, hard pulling fuel efficient engine, it keeps surprising me when I ask a diesel shop what engine they want in their trucks and its the 6.0, yes it has issues out of the box but they can be fixed.

This is the run down from what I've gathered at my dads shop. Ford powersmokers are a good engine but everything surrounding them likes to break, I haven't seen a "low" mileage one with transmission problems, some electrical problems with accessories, we've had several come in with oil leaks :noidea: GM's with the Duramax, we don't see many of them. Cummins, I've seen personally like one in our shop :noidea: That's it for the pickups that I've gathered. In Fords defense the powersmoker is what you see everywhere more of them on the road, don't see cummins or duramax as often...

But Rez asked about cummins so lets stop talking about anything other :smirk: I've asked my dad if he'd trade his cummins for anything else and he says no way. Once a cummin always a cummin.

My uneducated run down, just from working with some of these trucks...

If you want a nice ride and everyday truck, Get the Duramax, Best trans, They finally got there promblems fixed.

The Dodge is a workhorse,Just everything surrounding it is crap.

I wouldn't own a newer ford Diesel. They have been crap since the 6.0.If you want a reliable Ford Diesel, Get a 7.3,(97-03.5) It will outlast you Rex :smirk:

Thanks for all the info, more than what I was expecting but much apprecited. I've heard of the Duramax injector issues (older models) Dodge tranny issues (older models) and the 6.0 Powerstroke issues....

First of all, yes i did strart out with wanting info on the Dodge however, I am open to all so as not to leave any GOOD info unheard! Old YES but not ignorant... :shocked:, I'm like a spunge, I'll absorb any/all info to be given and squeeze out what I don't need!

The 5.9 is a great motor... but not available since 2007... Wasn't in the market for anything that old... my current truck was 3 Y/O with 35k on it when I bought it. I can only imagine how many miles would be on something 6-7 y/o. :noidea:

As for Chevy/GMC... I really like the idea of a heavy duty (proven) tranny lke the Allison since mine went to shit at 85k... I like the ride of the GM trucks, yes it IS like a couch and because I've had nothing but Fords and 1 Dodge prior to my Chevy I can say they rode like wagons... WITH square wheels. :smirk:

but that was several years ago.... :prof:

My uneducated run down, just from working with some of these trucks...

If you want a nice ride and everyday truck, Get the Duramax, Best trans, They finally got there promblems fixed.

The Dodge is a workhorse,Just everything surrounding it is crap.

I wouldn't own a newer ford Diesel. They have been crap since the 6.0.If you want a reliable Ford Diesel, Get a 7.3,(97-03.5) It will outlast you Rex :smirk:

I agree with you on the 7.3... doubt I'll ever find one with "decent" mileage still on it since that was 10 years ago... As I've mentioned before, when I was selling trucks all I ever heard was how bad the 6.0's were and boss man really hated taking any 6.0's in on trade because of their problems BUT, would never turn down a deal... :thumb:. I know you can fix, beef up, modify, boost, adjust and just plain F'up one of these so they run good but what a PITA having to so... I want a turn key.... buy it knowing it's in good shape and reliable just to get in and go! I know, asking for a lot but who out there buys something just so they can lift the lid and start tearing shit apart??? :rolleyes:. I bought a used Stroker once... only had 50k on it and was bad out of the gate... I learned NOT to consider a used diesel with low mileage... has to be a reason it was traded.

The main thing is... I want to be able to hook it up to my loaded, heavy ass TH, be able to climb the Cajon pass without swearing too much, giving too many gestures... AND be comfortable doing it....... you get the picture.

Tough decision... :thinking:.... thanks for the feedback!!! :hifive:

I am always thinking about getting another truck, diesel to be exact, and this has been very informative as all I have ever heard is that the newer Fords suck. I personally would lean towards the GM version with the Isuzu powerplant and Allison tranny. I did just see a new Ford F450 pulling a gigantic 5th wheel up in the Sierra's and it was very nice. So do you have any new thoughts on this Rez? :thinking: