Lab vs German Shepard

I have a Golden retriever now and he is seriously a mans best friend. I love my dog and I am his world. It's great to see that when I come home someone cares. His name is Hunter. Their is a problem though, I wanted to hunt with him and never got a chance too. Now that I am older and love hunting with a passiony dog is getting old. Sadly he only has a few more years left :cry: with the negative said I would like to face reality and think about my options later on in the future. I have always wanted a German Shepard because they are so loyal, friendly, but yet protective. I want a dog that will also hunt. Now they have great noses, durable, and fast. I do see a problem though... I wouldnt want to shot a goose have the dog bring it back and discover it's crushed because his bite is rough. So I thought about labs. They are also friendly and they are (from what I hear) great hunting dogs. Could I get a German Shepard and teach it to treat shot game carefully or would that be super hard. I have lots of experience training digs because I have been in the 4-h dog club for over 8 years now. So if you had the time to read all of this let me know.

I have a Golden retriever now and he is seriously a mans best friend. I love my dog and I am his world. It's great to see that when I come home someone cares. His name is Hunter. Their is a problem though, I wanted to hunt with him and never got a chance too. Now that I am older and love hunting with a passiony dog is getting old. Sadly he only has a few more years left :cry: with the negative said I would like to face reality and think about my options later on in the future. I have always wanted a German Shepard because they are so loyal, friendly, but yet protective. I want a dog that will also hunt. Now they have great noses, durable, and fast. I do see a problem though... I wouldnt want to shot a goose have the dog bring it back and discover it's crushed because his bite is rough. So I thought about labs. They are also friendly and they are (from what I hear) great hunting dogs. Could I get a German Shepard and teach it to treat shot game carefully or would that be super hard. I have lots of experience training digs because I have been in the 4-h dog club for over 8 years now. So if you had the time to read all of this let me know.

Shepards are "bred" to herd/watch guard... never know one to be a retriever... No idea if it can be done. Because of their breeding their bite is strong so your concern is very valid... You can't beat a lab for companionship as you now have with your goldy, they ARE bred to hunt/retrieve. (I had a goldy/lab mix...great dog but not a hunter, just a friend). Labs have a soft mouth, patient, loyal, friendly, SMART, obedient..... you can't go wriong with a lab, just pick your color and go! :thumb:

Shepards are "bred" to herd/watch guard... never know one to be a retriever... No idea if it can be done. Because of their breeding their bite is strong so your concern is very valid... You can't beat a lab for companionship as you now have with your goldy, they ARE bred to hunt/retrieve. (I had a goldy/lab mix...great dog but not a hunter, just a friend). Labs have a soft mouth, patient, loyal, friendly, SMART, obedient..... you can't go wriong with a lab, just pick your color and go! :thumb:
Does your dog wear a scout uniform?...
A Scout Dog is:
  • Trustworthy,
  • Loyal,
  • Helpful,
  • Friendly,
  • Courteous,
  • Kind,
  • Obedient,
  • Cheerful,
  • Thrifty,
  • Brave,
  • Clean,
  • and Reverent.
6040407062_6e10a1bb52.jpg

Does your dog wear a scout uniform?...
A Scout Dog is:
  • Trustworthy,
  • Loyal,
  • Helpful,
  • Friendly,
  • Courteous,
  • Kind,
  • Obedient,
  • Cheerful,
  • Thrifty,
  • Brave,
  • Clean,
  • and Reverent.
6040407062_6e10a1bb52.jpg
Hahaha actually he is a wimp. Not muscle wise though he is super strong for being 70 lbs. He can drag me across carpet like a horse lol. But, he is scared of vaccumes, the pressure washer, and cats hahaha. But on another note Rez; do to think a lab would be good for protecting the house/ my family members?

James

Staff member
Hahaha actually he is a wimp. Not muscle wise though he is super strong for being 70 lbs. He can drag me across carpet like a horse lol. But, he is scared of vaccumes, the pressure washer, and cats hahaha. But on another note Rez; do to think a lab would be good for protecting the house/ my family members?
Hell a cat could drag your skinny ass across the carpet. :lol:

CAT FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

get a retriever Kyle. A lab preferably and if you can get an English lab. Most loyal loving hunting dog I ever had. I just couldnt keep him out of the pool...

16ofsnowon2-12-06004.jpg

16ofsnowon2-12-06001.jpg

mikescamera141.jpg

I say get something mixed, mixed up dogs are always the most loving best dogs. I had a chocolate lab before that was a high wired mess of a dog. Most labs I've encountered act half retarded.

017.jpg

My dad and stepmom have a lab, love that dog and he is really friendly and a good dog but he is dumb as a bag of rocks and is afraid of EVERYTHING. If i was you i would get a lab mix, most mix'd labs i'f been around seem to be pretty smart and not nearly as lethargic as my dads. just my 2 cents

I never liked the personalities of labs. My family has a border collie which I absolutely dislike, if you playfully pick somebody up or hit somebody and they scream or giggle the dog will jump up and start biting the victim :picard: He tries to heard my dog around the house by biting the backs of her legs. Our last family dog was a border collie/shelty mix she was great. My dog, a boston terrier is the most loving obedient dog I've ever had the pleasure of meeting :D But this is all worthless, because you're wanting a hunting dog. :lol:

Are labs hardy? Because that's the only flaw I see in my dog. He has sh*t loads of hair so that makes him shed and the most important thing about it is that he can't be outside in the heat for long. I know German shepards can be anywhere and do just about anythin but, I'm just concerned about their bite being to strong and ruining shot game... Do you think I could thonk that I could just teach him to track it down and just not do the retrieving part? Or would that be too much of a hassle for me to run everywhere?

Are labs hardy? Because that's the only flaw I see in my dog. He has sh*t loads of hair so that makes him shed and the most important thing about it is that he can't be outside in the heat for long. I know German shepards can be anywhere and do just about anythin but, I'm just concerned about their bite being to strong and ruining shot game... Do you think I could thonk that I could just teach him to track it down and just not do the retrieving part? Or would that be too much of a hassle for me to run everywhere?

My sister has a German Shepard that lives outside she's a REALLY good dog.

I have a black lab and just lost a Chocolate lab due to age, great dog the chocolate one. She was never a hunter or wouldn't fetch to save her life but the best dog you could ever ask for as far as a smart, loyal friend. The black lab is yet to earn her keep and pisses me off all the time. But still a good dog never the less. But both shed like crazy!!!!!!

I have a black lab and just lost a Chocolate lab due to age, great dog the chocolate one. She was never a hunter or wouldn't fetch to save her life but the best dog you could ever ask for as far as a smart, loyal friend. The black lab is yet to earn her keep and pisses me off all the time. But still a good dog never the less. But both shed like crazy!!!!!!
Alot of guys on here are calling them dumb dogs... Would you agree that MOST don't have a lot of sence or do you think it's gibberish?

Alot of guys on here are calling them dumb dogs... Would you agree that MOST don't have a lot of sence or do you think it's gibberish?
I think the purebreeds are dumb. Every mixed lab i've been around has been very smart, most of the pure ones haven't been........