Gas Gas kill switch

the kill switch on the 300 never work since I got the bike its the run type switch ud see on a road bike on and off.but the bike ran fine with the switch in on and off position..so I bought a new kill button the mx type.. so I went about fitting the new one..first I cut the two wires going to the old switch and crossed/joined them to see if it would kill the engine and it did not ..so I traced the two wires back to the ecu and there is another joint just before the ecu so I crossed and uncrossed um there and it still didn't kill the engine..so what do I do now?? I tried put the new swicht straight onto one of the wires going into the coil but the engine will only run with the button pressed so id need a normally closed switch for that method..so do I go and buy a on/off type switch and wire it to the coil. .. any suggestions????

SRAD97750

Staff member
The kill switch works by grounding the wire from the cdi to the frame.
If it only works opposite, then the kill switch is opening the circuit when pressed. Which would be backwards.
I would test it by removing everything from the cdi wire and seeing if the bike will run. As it's running ground the cdi wire. It should die.

The kill switch must complete a circuit to ground. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The kill switch works by grounding the wire from the cdi to the frame.
If it only works opposite, then the kill switch is opening the circuit when pressed. Which would be backwards.
I would test it by removing everything from the cdi wire and seeing if the bike will run. As it's running ground the cdi wire. It should die.

The kill switch must complete a circuit to ground. -BIG DAN:thumb:

so your say if u join the two kill wires from the cdi it won't kill the engine.. iv to ground the wires basically.. so if I touch the two wires off the frame it might work??

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yes. A kill switch requires a ground. Sometimes there are two wires for a kill switch. Both need to be grounded. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The system is actually letting the ignition pulse go to ground instead of the coil for ignition. A kill switch wire can zap you pretty good. It is literally the same wire as the ignition coil sending wire. :thumb:

Yes. A kill switch requires a ground. Sometimes there are two wires for a kill switch. Both need to be grounded. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The system is actually letting the ignition pulse go to ground instead of the coil for ignition. A kill switch wire can zap you pretty good. It is literally the same wire as the ignition coil sending wire. :thumb:

uploadfromtaptalk1396723022932.jpg new swicht
uploadfromtaptalk1396723060486.jpg old switchuploadfromtaptalk1396723104678.jpg wires coming from cdi to switchuploadfromtaptalk1396723184160.jpgjoint in two wires before the cdi uploadfromtaptalk1396723239968.jpg
the white wire I tried to connect it to..and the engine only ran with button pressed..

I tried touching the wires off the frame with no success

so im getting a bit confused and frustrated with this kill switch..I can't figure out how to wire it to the cdi so im going to try wire it straight to the coil.. this is what I have..so im thinking one wire from the switch to one of the wires on the coil and the other wire from the switch to the frame...any advice would be great id much prefer to figure this out myself then take it to the shop.. uploadfromtaptalk1396791571490.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396791609786.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396791659279.jpg

At least you are running a kill switch. A buddy of mine had an rm250 that didnt have a kill switch, so instead of putting one on he had the wires twisted together for it to run, and then he just pulled them apart to kill the bike. Or was it the other way around? Anyway the thing was a death trap for the most part haha.

SRAD97750

Staff member
This yellow wire before the cdi was just taped up with insolation tape doing nothing
I'm confused with all these wires...
Can you make a crude wiring diagram from the CDI? I can't tell what is what from the photos. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yes, you are on the right track.
Connect one wire from the kill switch to the frame, and the other to the white wire.
Then grounded, the signal should go to ground instead of through the hi-tension coils. Path of least resistance.
If it runs opposite, then we need to do more trouble shooting.-BIG DAN:thumb: