keepin my cool and pullin through.... I think

It's been three months since my best friend died riding... (please excuse this thread... might be a lil' depressing) I know that many riders die (I'm praying for all of them). Even after a lot of them passed I have been able to jump back on my bike. The only thing is, after Dylan died, I'm not able to get back on. I'm pretty nervous at this point because I'm supposed to qualify for Loretta's again, and go to all the big races out here. I can't really cut my race season. I't's so weird because there's never been a time where I just couldn't ride.
The other day I went to ride, and it literally was like my brain told my hand to do nothing... I have never had anything happen to me that was so bizarre in my life! I couldn't do it... so I had to hightail it back to the pits. has anybody had an experience like that?
(again, kind of depressing.. I apologize.)
l

SRAD97750

Staff member
Christmas Day 2006. My good friend Matt and I went down to Malcolm smith to pick up his new sport bike.
He is a long time harley rider and smart guy.
Well, we went out for a long ride and I led the whole way. Slowly increasing speed through twisty turns and stopping and talking about proper form when on a sport bike. He was progressing swimmingly. So we come to a stop sign and I wave him on ahead to lead down the last 6 miles or so.

First corner, he panics and stands the bike up (to brake) just in time to slam into the K-rail (around 45mph) and over into the lake. I stop as fast as I can, lean my katana 1100 against the K-rail and jump over after him.
He's unconscious, but mumbling aloud. Really freaked me out. I called 911 and his parent's immediately while I kept him from slumping into the water. After about 5 minutes, matt stands up and checks himself over for broken bones, and announces that he's "alright." Those were a long 5 minutes. I thought he was done-for.
Dad shows up before the ambulance and we examine his road rash... pretty bad considering he WAS wearing a leather jacket and pants. Ambulance shows up as we load his ABSOLUTELY totalled SV1000 into his dad's truck. They haul matt away for examination where they find a broke rib and concussion. Minor injuries but extremely traumatic.

ANYWAYS, long story short, I haven't been able to ride street bikes with anyone since. I get an overwhelming sense of anxiety. A fear that THEY will crash. I barely kept myself together when matt crashed. I couldn't do that again. Following, or leading... I get so nervous it is dangerous for me to ride with anyone.

BUT, the future looks bright. I rode 1000 miles in 3 days with my dad 2 weeks ago. I was really anxious, but it wasn't as distracting as it has been over the last few years.
SO, you have to get back on the horse and RIDE. Ease your way back into it. Don't rush yourself. -BIG DAN

Thanks lots... I really appreciate it. I know I'll get back into it.. just a matter of time I think. I'm workin on it.

im srry man my parents best friends were huge harley riders and then on a normal day the husband was going to work and a truck pulled out infront of him "because he didnt see him" he dyed in intensive care that night... riding is dangours but its also where your free... dont give up just pray:thumb:

James

Staff member
has anybody had an experience like that?
Thankfully I've never had any riding buddies pass away. However I've gone through similar things as to what you're describing, thanks to injuries to myself and friends. This sport has a very huge mental aspect to it and if you don't give it 100% concentration....:crash:

Its kinda one of those things you have to accept, and kinda push through your mind. It was a bother after Tanner Stine died, at 15. 4 years ago Ron Boyas had someone land on him and he was done. A small girl wrecked into a truck at age 5 and died instantly this year. That stuff happens and your have to accept it. The best advice, if it really becomes a problem, is talk to your doctor about anti anxiety medication until your okay with everything again, just for the time your on the bike. That, and get fimilar with the bike and go backdown to the roots of racing. Best of luck, its hard to loose someone.

Maybe you should hit some trails. Get away from the track with all those distractions and reminders swirling in your head. Get comfortable again on the bike in a place where you can just go slow, stop or pull over if you want to. Somewhere nice, to ride and reflect.
I've lost many friends on bikes, more on street. It is sort of slows you down and makes you think. Like when you have a close call, and you feel weird from it, it makes you tense and slows you down for a bit. Ease back into it. I cant say what to do about your racing season. Just do what feels right and most comfortable. You are SO YOUNG and have MANY YEARS ahead to race and ride. Take it easy and god bless:thumb: