Just joined trying to find help with 1989 honda CRs

hello, I at the end of the summer I came into possession of a 1989 cr250 and a 1989 cr125. Years ago my brother drowned his friend's cr125 while trail riding and killed it. He bought it off him and sent it off to be rebuilt. The cr250 he bought off Craigslist rode it for a bit until it locked up at full throttle while we were out for a ride. Again he sent it to be rebuilt around the same time. He got both engines back and started to put them back in the bikes. Then wedding, kids, life, etc. Fast forward close to 10 years he tells me I can have them since they have just been sitting in the barn half put together since he got the engines back. Rubber hoses were dry rotted, chains were solid in a tub, 125's exhaust pipe was sitting in the tub partly in water so a big rust spot had to be cut out and fixed. Clutch handle and cable were in there too so they were toast.

Ok so I have had both running and have ridden both, but I keep hitting brick walls. The fact that 1989 seems to be the bend me over Honda year that nothing fits any other year. The 125 is pissing me off right now I can't get the carb to stop pissing gas. I have torn down the carb 3 times now. I resorted to bending the tab down on the float to hold the needle closed unless it is on the bottom of the bowl. I blew in the fuel inlet while I moved the float up and down so it does seal, but as soon as I put it back on the bike and hook the fuel tank up it pisses gas. It also seems to be flooding the bike as I can't get it to start anymore. The plug is wet with gas every time I pull it. But it won't even fire like it was trying to start. I pulled the plug to check the gap. I can't figure this out. I want to get the 125 sound before I attempt to figure out the 250's problems. At this point I almost want to see if anyone would be interested in buying them.

Is the float set properly, does it float? Or is it sinking? Let's get the overfueling issue figured out first. Checking the needle and seat the way you did is a good test but all it tells you is the needle is capable of sealing. I realize you've taken steps to try to eliminate the flooding but it needs to be revisited.

Last edited:
hello, I at the end of the summer I came into possession of a 1989 cr250 and a 1989 cr125. Years ago my brother drowned his friend's cr125 while trail riding and killed it. He bought it off him and sent it off to be rebuilt. The cr250 he bought off Craigslist rode it for a bit until it locked up at full throttle while we were out for a ride. Again he sent it to be rebuilt around the same time. He got both engines back and started to put them back in the bikes. Then wedding, kids, life, etc. Fast forward close to 10 years he tells me I can have them since they have just been sitting in the barn half put together since he got the engines back. Rubber hoses were dry rotted, chains were solid in a tub, 125's exhaust pipe was sitting in the tub partly in water so a big rust spot had to be cut out and fixed. Clutch handle and cable were in there too so they were toast.

Ok so I have had both running and have ridden both, but I keep hitting brick walls. The fact that 1989 seems to be the bend me over Honda year that nothing fits any other year. The 125 is pissing me off right now I can't get the carb to stop pissing gas. I have torn down the carb 3 times now. I resorted to bending the tab down on the float to hold the needle closed unless it is on the bottom of the bowl. I blew in the fuel inlet while I moved the float up and down so it does seal, but as soon as I put it back on the bike and hook the fuel tank up it pisses gas. It also seems to be flooding the bike as I can't get it to start anymore. The plug is wet with gas every time I pull it. But it won't even fire like it was trying to start. I pulled the plug to check the gap. I can't figure this out. I want to get the 125 sound before I attempt to figure out the 250's problems. At this point I almost want to see if anyone would be interested in buying them.

Start with a carb rebuild kit. Moose makes them. If you can't find the carb parts you need then sudco.com is the place you'll end up. DC plastics also has plenty of parts and links to other vintage retailers.
Welcome to Dba and good luck :thumb:

Start with a carb rebuild kit. Moose makes them. If you can't find the carb parts you need then sudco.com is the place you'll end up. DC plastics also has plenty of parts and links to other vintage retailers.
Welcome to Dba and good luck :thumb:
And just like a bad penny:wave:
Honda still sell the carb seal kit for the 89 250 so it might be worth asking if they still have the 125 kit!
Ask your dealer if they are able to check stock and order from Belgium if there's none in the states!

So tell me what the end of the float needle looks like and how much of the float weight the spring loaded tank will take. That one should set at 16mm. honda was still using the pj carburetor long into the 90's so you can take a needle from any of those. if you are getting a little bit of leakage down the portion of the seat that contacts the carburetor body you will get the same flooding affect. you may need to use soap and water as you do your blowing through the fuel line to find out if that part is leaking. Keihins do that as they age.

In closing, the pj was the least desirable carburetor Keihin built in my opinion. A newer pwk will make you lots happier.

the floats themselves may be waterlogged too. try shaking them or warming them under a light bulb until they get really warm and see if you are spewing anyhing. do this outside because at least part of that Spew, is going to be fuel.

I already went there. Add that kit to cart and it says it is not available and cannot be back ordered. I can't seem to find anyone that carries 1989 kit. Apparently the jets are different for that year. Would make sense since I already discovered the exhaust is a one off just for that year.

So tell me what the end of the float needle looks like and how much of the float weight the spring loaded tank will take. That one should set at 16mm. honda was still using the pj carburetor long into the 90's so you can take a needle from any of those. if you are getting a little bit of leakage down the portion of the seat that contacts the carburetor body you will get the same flooding affect. you may need to use soap and water as you do your blowing through the fuel line to find out if that part is leaking. Keihins do that as they age.

In closing, the pj was the least desirable carburetor Keihin built in my opinion. A newer pwk will make you lots happier.

the floats themselves may be waterlogged too. try shaking them or warming them under a light bulb until they get really warm and see if you are spewing anyhing. do this outside because at least part of that Spew, is going to be fuel.

The float needle doesn't look bad at all but I will still probably get a new one when I find the kit. I like the idea that the floats are not floating anymore. It seems like a sound idea since the last time I put it back together it took a minute or two before it started leaking. I thought I fixed it but again the bike wants to screw me. Float taking time to fill and sink makes sense to me. I found a float on ebay that says it fits pwk and pj carbs. And lots of different mm does that sound right?

I already went there. Add that kit to cart and it says it is not available and cannot be back ordered. I can't seem to find anyone that carries 1989 kit. Apparently the jets are different for that year. Would make sense since I already discovered the exhaust is a one off just for that year.

The float needle doesn't look bad at all but I will still probably get a new one when I find the kit. I like the idea that the floats are not floating anymore. It seems like a sound idea since the last time I put it back together it took a minute or two before it started leaking. I thought I fixed it but again the bike wants to screw me. Float taking time to fill and sink makes sense to me. I found a float on ebay that says it fits pwk and pj carbs. And lots of different mm does that sound right?

http://sudco.com/