Amatuer Is it to late to become a pro racer???

I am 13 and want to become a pro mx racer. If I just ride at local tracks is there a possibility I could get recognized? Is it worth going out of town to race??

if you are determined enough and put in enough hard work then no of course its not too late. People (including yourself) can do some pretty amazing things when they want it bad enough.

James

Staff member
If you have the heart, the determination, and the right mindset anything possible. With that said, making it to the pro ranks isn't easy even if you've been riding all your life. However I'd say prove me/us wrong and go for it.

At your age it's definitely still possible, not so much at my age (20 something). It'll take a LOT of hard work and your family will have to be behind you both mentally and financially.

The "easiest" way is by qualifying for Loretta's and doing very well in the B or A class. That's no small feat though. With the area qualifiers pretty much done with, for this year, I'd suggest focusing on local races and preparing for next year.

One piece of advice I can give you is keep your bike stock except for suspension work and spend that money on training. As you might already know being fast is more about you than the bike you're on. An example of that would be when Andrew Short raced SX on a completely stock bike (still had OEM piston) and still finished I believe in the top 5. :hail: Find yourself a local trainer (or ex pro) and work with him.

All of the above.
And what class would you class yourself?

I'm also 13, and a below average rider.. i ain't even considering racing clubbys. :D

He won his 3 motos at Loretta's last year in the Junior 25+ class. :noidea:
Did you see Dungey, Villo, Reed, or Barcia just to name a few in those races? Not knocking RC he is the GOAT and plus he knows what bike to ride :smirk: but he is a little out of shape :prof:

James

Staff member
Did you see Dungey, Villo, Reed, or Barcia just to name a few in those races? Not knocking RC he is the GOAT and plus he knows what bike to ride :smirk: but he is a little out of shape :prof:
What are we arguing about again? :lol: The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to be in tip-top shape to get your pro card.

Oh and for the record I could see RC in the top 10 at a SX race, and probably not far from that in a MX race.

What are we arguing about again? :lol: The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to be in tip-top shape to get your pro card.

Oh and for the record I could see RC in the top 10 at a SX race, and probably not far from that in a MX race.
:thumb:

I could see me in the top 20 :lol: Hell, do you see alot of those guys riding around track rolling the jumps. I can do that :smirk: