Is Having The Dealer Service The Bike Worth It?

Well it's around that time that I'll be needing the standard 10-15 hour service done on my new scooter. I called 3bros KTM to check price (they usually have good prices as I have gotten work by them before) but they sill want $200 out of the door for the regular 15hr service. Is that normal pricing for a typical service? It consist of the usual checks of everything (valves, oil levels, bearings etc), replacement of fuel filter, oil filter, engine oils etc. I was thinking about doing that stuff myself but four strokes are complicated machines and I wouldn't have a clue on how to check the engine/electricals and it would require the diagnostic tool that I don't have. So I guess my main question is, Is having the dealer perform the service done worth it? Or is just changing the filters, oils and stuff myself and just hope the valves are good and get them checked with more hours :noidea:

at most you should have them do just the valves. Although they are not hard to do yourself. Honestly the "dealer" service is mostly stuff you should be checking before every ride and doing every couple hours. Checking all the fluids, spokes, etc. Other than the normal stuff i would just change the fuel filter if the manual says to do that after the break in and let her rip. In the end its a matter of opinion but i think the majority of the forum will agree with me on this one

Its quite easy to do yourself. get a maintenance manual. Something is wrong if your valves are off at 15hrs. change the oil, filter, fuel filter, and just look over the bolts/bearings.

I was just trying to go by what the manual said, which stated to check the valve after 15 hours but I would like to think they are still in spec as the bike runs fine. So the check through the KTM Diagnostic tool isn't needed?

They said it's two hours of work, so 160 in labor. Or it would cost us $40 to do it ourselves. (If we knew what we were doing lol) It would be cool if they showed us how to do it so we didn't have to pay after the first time. ha

Its a new KTM and you just laid out 5.3 million Canadian dollars to buy it. I would have them do the 1st service as long as they allow you to watch so you can get a good idea of what they are doing... Now you can get an owners service manual and check everything yourself providing you can read and have a good idea of what a wrench is.
:thumb:

Is it still under warranty? if so and you need warranty service, they may require proof it's been served by an authorized dealer. not saying they would, but it's possible.

Let them do the first one guys. Then get the manual and bring it on by, I have been taking care of my Husky's for years. I just got the Beta back, it's time to ride!

:thumb: I'm with Palmer on this one. Having said that the dealer does 99.9% of our work. The only time I change a tire is because I'm no where near Wilson's.

Let them do the first one guys. Then get the manual and bring it on by, I have been taking care of my Husky's for years. I just got the Beta back, it's time to ride!

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Good to hear your Beta is back, let's set up another ride then asap. :ride:

most bike shops only have a hired monkey in the back that is just out of tech school. If your lucky you will get a guy that really knows his stuff, if you not lucky you get a guy that is just learning, either way they will probably have more time on wrenching than you. That being said the most important aspect is to make sure your warranty doesn't state that it must be done at the dealor. I am a cheap bastard do I do all my own work if I can. In the end, its your bike, just do what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about the 10k you spent on your bike.