Is a cr500 to much for me?

I've ridden numerous two strokes and have fallen in love with them but even after riding my buddies ktm 300exc I want more power, I'm 18, 6'3 and weight about 155. where I typically ride has lots of wide open straights and big sweeping corners. I've been considering a 450 but my only experience with 4 strokes was a wr250 which I couldn't seem to jump very well, lt felt heavy and was lacking in the power department. Now to my question someone near me is selling a pretty clean 89 cr500 in a 2001 cr 250r chassis within my budget and I'm unsure if I pull the trigger or not got

Unless it was done properly, (not many are) within a few big jumps you will have two bikes from the one.

The 89 CR500 engine: Parts (transmission especially) are becoming harder to find.

If that bike is within your budget, so are many real good bikes also.

Most reliable: YZ250F, YZ450F, YZ250 2 stroke, (pick a year) and then there are the other brands.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I like the way a 500 2T performs/behaves for my riding. I will never be without it. There is nothing quite like it.

I think a 450 will certainly give you more accessible speed, with the general option of far superior suspension to any 500 you find. A 500 in a 2001 frame is not an upgrade, as they still made the 500 in 2001.
Definitely give the big 4T a whirl. The last 500 was in early 2000s, not a current competitior in suspension capability.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Been there done that. Stand it up and kick till she quits puking. Never did swamp my 2t and I should have more than once. Thing sounded like a jet ski

Thumpers can be revived, it just takes so much more effort than a smoker. Not to mention if you hydro lock a 4skin while running you can be looking at a bent rod.