Inside Combat Rescue

James

Staff member
Any of you watching the 6 part documentary on NatGEO called Inside Combat Rescue? Very impressed with the quality.

The elite Combat Rescue members of the U.S. Air Force, Pararescuemen, or PJs, have one mission: rescue American or allied forces in extreme danger. Whether their targets are shot down or isolated behind enemy lines, surrounded, engaged, wounded, or captured by the enemy, PJs will do whatever necessary to bring those in peril home. For the first time in their history, the PJs allow camera crews to extensively cover their missions in Afghanistan. Inside Combat Rescue brings you into the lives of these elite airmen.

First episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL6t6Z0YulA

2nd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobWQp1BjV8

James

Staff member
James, if those are the full episode, I'm going to watch it right now. :thumb: I'll report back after I watch.
Those are full episodes. :thumb: Couple things:

The opener of the first episode is about the only thing I noticed that seemed a little dramafied if you get what I mean.
2nd episode is better than the first.
This is life, so don't expect everyone they extract to survive. :(
If you have a weak stomach......(They do blur most of the injuries however you can still imagine what happens when a soldier steps on a landmine etc. :()

I thought the commercials looked good, haven't found time to watch it.

A good derkaderkastan show is on G4. I forget what it's called but the cameras follow an EOD team around and there's occasional firefights. Those IED's can be nasty.

Oh yeah, it's called Bomb Patrol Afghanistan

James

Staff member
Just finished watching the latest one. Wow, speechless....just watch it. The sacrifices our soldiers make... :hail:

This reminds me a lot of my other favorite reality/documentary show, Coast Guard Alaska. It's very similar but instead of harsh weather/water you're usually flying into a potential battle zone and the injuries are worse.

This is an incredible look into what our Pararescuemen go through. They are a Special Operations unit. Even the training just to be a PJ has a higher drop-out rate than any other SpecOps unit's training (SEALs, Rangers, Special Forces, MARSOC, etc). These guys are highly trained and worked their ass off to get there. After all that, they are still busting ass to save the lives of our soldiers. Incredible guys. :salute:

For all of you who watched the first Part, remember the Special Forces Medic? He was the guy who was injured at the end with a right leg amputee. That guy actually came to talk to my little brother's Cub Scout group one day. We had no idea he would be on this show. It was months ago, probably back in 2012 when he came to speak. He told them about him being a Special Forces medic and how he hit an IED while riding a motorcycle (my mom recalls him saying a dirt bike...therefore...:ride:). Of course, he was the only Medic on the ODA team so he had to stay conscious and coach the guys on what to do. He was flown to Germany and fitted with prosthetics. In addition to his leg, he also lost his right arm. He grew up in the area and still has family here. He talked about how he was going to be re-enlisting and going back.

When I was watching the show, I quickly caught on. I asked my mom a few questions about the guy who came to speak, and everything lined up. It has been brought to my attention that it was him, and that he did re-enlist and joined his team in January. Just to give a time frame, the injury was on June of 2012. That's seven short months learning how to walk and use prosthetics, and he's back in the Army. Not just the Army...a Special Forces soldier. I will not state his name for that reason, PERSEC. I just wanted to let yall know that he is going great things with his life. He's the stuff heroes are made of.

The show itself is great! Very well done. I love the small bits of humor in the show to lighten the mood. The mustaches on the Helis, Leeroy Jenkins, and the water-filled balloon had us all laughing. The rest of the show will have you in awe, appreciation, and huge amounts of respect.

James

Staff member
I watched episodes 1 and 2 last night. Very interesting. I couldn't find any other episodes though? Outstanding show. :thumb:
Episode 3 just aired last night so it might take a day or so until it's up. The last 3 haven't aired on the National Geographic channel yet. It airs Monday nights at 10pm.

:hail::salute:
Talk about bravery! These are the guys that need to be recognized, not the Kardashian's:puke:

These are the real "American Idols" if you ask me :USA:

Good to see this even if it is graphic and depressing. So much garbage on TV these days, and it's dumbing down America and the world.

I had big plans for awhile to get into combat rescue but my swimming skills aren't high enough for there training (as far as I believe) so I'm going wherever the airforce places me.

James

Staff member
I had big plans for awhile to get into combat rescue but my swimming skills aren't high enough for there training (as far as I believe) so I'm going wherever the airforce places me.

Swimming skills can be learned/taught, don't give up on something just because it looks daunting. :thumb:

You can learn to swim good quick, with the right determination! Chris Kyle was never a good swimmer and he hated water. He learned real quick how to swim in basic before he got to BUD/S. He was lucky that he got a delayed BUD/S class date, or he wouldn't have had the extra time to learn. Given that very short time, he was able to get good enough for SEAL standards. He called himself a "L". A SEAL without the sea and air, he hated those. :lol:

James

Staff member
You can learn to swim good quick, with the right determination! Chris Kyle was never a good swimmer and he hated water. He learned real quick how to swim in basic before he got to BUD/S. He was lucky that he got a delayed BUD/S class date, or he wouldn't have had the extra time to learn. Given that very short time, he was able to get good enough for SEAL standards. He called himself a "L". A SEAL without the sea and air, he hated those. :lol:
I'd be an 'AL' as I'd gladly jump out of a plane at FL300 but not so much jump into the sea. :lol: