Injured Injured Local Rider (Lorne Smyth #946)

I hadn't talked about this before except privately with James but, a couple of weeks ago my son was racing against a young man who had a pretty serious accident. A couple of local girls, whom happen to be outstanding riders in their own right made this fund raising vid to help out Lorne Smyth. I thought I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wkIlx47Uzs

Thanks Edge. Do you have any updates on his condition?
In fact, just today I heard that he had started to open his eyes. That is a good sign I think - I understand that it means he is starting to come out of his coma. Still, the family is asking for us to respect their privacy. There has been a charity moto set up for him in a couple of weeks - the implication being that the family will needs lots of help. We bought some T-shirts last weekend which were part of a fund raising effort. I'll post up here as I hear more info. As an aside, that one girl in the vid, Ami, is the daughter of a former World Vet Masters champ - Kim Houde. She is an outstanding womens rider and used to teach Nelson when he was a Little fella at clinics she would put on. Now, she comes out to watch Monkey-Boy and Monkey-Girl race now and then. :thumb:

Why are some people just so frikkin awesome? Those girls are great. :thumb:
Not everybody is that awesome, but the people in moto sure in the hell are :thumb: It's a family on it's own.

Being injured is bad, but sometimes being close to someone injured can be pretty bad too, and sometimes worse. Even when one of my best friends broke his femer, the rush to find out what to do with everything was stressful, we just took his bike for him, but his dad was in an unknown place trying to follow the ambulance to find what hospital is son was on his way to. We brought his bike back with ours back home, and we were close in contact for about a week after. Sometimes it makes you feel a little more comfortable trying to do the most you can, with the knowledge they would do the same. Needless to say him and his whole family were very appreciative, and we were a little tighter as friends ever since.
What these girls did were great :thumb: These people are what makes the sport one we love. Keep it up ladies :USA:

In fact, just today I heard that he had started to open his eyes. That is a good sign I think - I understand that it means he is starting to come out of his coma. Still, the family is asking for us to respect their privacy. There has been a charity moto set up for him in a couple of weeks - the implication being that the family will needs lots of help. We bought some T-shirts last weekend which were part of a fund raising effort. I'll post up here as I hear more info. As an aside, that one girl in the vid, Ami, is the daughter of a former World Vet Masters champ - Kim Houde. She is an outstanding womens rider and used to teach Nelson when he was a Little fella at clinics she would put on. Now, she comes out to watch Monkey-Boy and Monkey-Girl race now and then. :thumb:

Nedge... Sign me up for a couple of shirts and I'll Pay pall ya and James can give them away here on DBA.... OK James?

James

Staff member
In fact, just today I heard that he had started to open his eyes. That is a good sign I think - I understand that it means he is starting to come out of his coma. Still, the family is asking for us to respect their privacy.
Have you heard anything more about his condition?

This is all I have:

Update on Lorne Smyth – June 20th

Lorne is breathing on his own and has been moved out of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit into a Step-Down Unit. This is an excellent sign as it means he is stable. The hospital staff is continuing physio to keep up his range of motion and he’s in a chair-type bed for a few hours each day. He has moved his arms and legs, and while the progress seems slow, this is a good sign.
The Smyth family is overwhelmed with and so appreciative of the encouragement and support they have received. While many would like to visit him, the family has asked that we give Lorne a little more time as consistency with the people around him right now is so important to his recovery.
Let’s continue to give thoughts, prayers and support to Lorne and his family in any way we can!!
June 20th, 2012