"In-between" bike

Is the KX100 the same as a kx85 with just a bigger engine, or is the frame bigger too?

I ask because my kid is way too tall/big for his CR80 anymore, but I dont think he has the riding skill or the height to get on the yz125 yet.
There is a kx100 for sale nearby that is in my price range and I thought if the frame is bigger it might be a good pre-125 bike?

Last edited:
Is the KX100 the same as a kx85 with just a bigger engine, or is the frame bigger too?

I ask because my kid is way too tall/big for his CR80 anymore, but I dont think he has the riding skill or the height to get on the yz125 yet.
There is a kx100 for sale nearby that is in my price range and I thought if the frame is bigger it might be a good pre-125 bike?

Pretty sure they are the same. Could be different in years tho.. What years are we talking as there is also a big wheel.

I (we) have a big wheel KX85 (w/o title paperwork) but it is not stollen and in good condition. Bought it off the neighbor (Los Angeles LEO). I'll stick it next to the YZ250 (same size as a 125) and you can see the diff. Also give you seat hight so you can check wee mans inseam. If you think it will work, and I can bring it out from CA...

the big wheel version has larger wheels. My daughter and son both rode the big wheel after the xr100 to get familiar with race bike power. My daughter still rides one at 24 yrs old, 5'-2" and 110 lbs. She can easily touch the ground, but the bike is not "too small" for her either.

Go straight to the 125. My kid went from the 85 to a big wheel 85/ super mini like the kx100 and outgrew the bike within a month.

If you think it will work, and I can bring it out from CA...
Thats an interesting offer, thank you. Let me think about that...

Go straight to the 125.
I'm seriously thinking like this as well. It's how I would do it. Plus I already have the bike...
But if he got hurt, people would be like oh he shouldn't have been riding that, his mother would sue me, I'd lose custody...I can see it all now...:doh::doh::doh:.
I really should have gotten him into riding sooner. Now he's at this awkward stage cuz he's tall for his age (12), but inexperienced.
We just measured him last week, he's 5-4, and probably 115-120 lbs. He's grown 4 inches since Thanksgiving 2016.

Here you go Brad. Next to and measured up to a YZ.
Thanks Palmer. From this perspective it looks like it would be a good in-between bike, but I wonder how it would compare to his cr80 in the leg area, which is where he starts to dwarf his bike.

What I should do (and would be a cool project), is find some normal, non-mx Yamaha 200cc 4T and put it in the YZ 125 for him...

Thats an interesting offer, thank you. Let me think about that...

I'm seriously thinking like this as well. It's how I would do it. Plus I already have the bike...
But if he got hurt, people would be like oh he shouldn't have been riding that, his mother would sue me, I'd lose custody...I can see it all now...:doh::doh::doh:.
I really should have gotten him into riding sooner. Now he's at this awkward stage cuz he's tall for his age (12), but inexperienced.
We just measured him last week, he's 5-4, and probably 115-120 lbs. He's grown 4 inches since Thanksgiving 2016.

Thanks Palmer. From this perspective it looks like it would be a good in-between bike, but I wonder how it would compare to his cr80 in the leg area, which is where he starts to dwarf his bike.

What I should do (and would be a cool project), is find some normal, non-mx Yamaha 200cc 4T and put it in the YZ 125 for him...

Can he touch the ground on the 125?
I didn’t know he was only 12. Big difference between 12,13 and 14. 12 is still a little kid. 13 physically more mature, 14 physically and mentally more mature. AMA sanctioning States 13yrs old to race schoolboy class and that’s primarily a 125 class. Shorter kids ride the 100 or a mini.

The lowering link was also on my mind as there is another kid at the track his age that has a yz125 with one. Had his forks dropped about 3 inches too. I saw him earlier in the year when he first got it. He took it real easy at first, but now he goes right around me.
Maybe he's got a lowering link for sale...
BH got to ride a CRF150RB that he out grew in 2 months.
I was eying one of those up as well. A little too spendy for me though, especially when he breaks it.

Last edited: