RM125 I'm new thanks

Traded my 426ex for a 96 rm 125
Let me say I love it but I got a few issues with it bogging not sure if it's reeds or power valve I've never touched a 2 stroke I was told it had a new top end it starts first kick I could probably crank it buy hand it starts so easily where should I start diagnosing my issue here I see som oil build up on the pipe could it be clogged causing issue

Welcome to the club!
Does cold motor start easily without the choke?

"Told it has a new top end" take that for what it's worth. If someone you know said it, believe them. If someone you're handing money to said it, they are probably lying :) just sayin
Two stroke are easy you might as well get to know whats inside sooner the better. Also, does it finally get to over rev? If you lug them around there won't be a lot of power right off the bottom on a 125. You gotta keep the revs in the top 75-100% of the powerband in order to get any real kick out of it.

Traded my 426ex for a 96 rm 125
Let me say I love it but I got a few issues with it bogging not sure if it's reeds or power valve I've never touched a 2 stroke I was told it had a new top end it starts first kick I could probably crank it buy hand it starts so easily where should I start diagnosing my issue here I see som oil build up on the pipe could it be clogged causing issue

It starts easy but has a bog.....
1: get a service manual
2: clean the carb twice and then once more for good luck (trust me when I say clean it that way)
3: clean the power valves, the pipe and silencer and repack it.
4: check the reed valves while the carb is out. Make sure there are no chips or open reeds.
Fresh gas and oil at 30:1....4.3 ounces of oil per 1 gal of pump premium gas regardless of what the oil bottle says.
Keep us posted

I'm at work now il try an get som good pics I changed the gas an I think I fouled the plug not sure what j done wrong just started smoking a lil more then usual blue smoke id sayan bogged an shut off it Bogs off take of like if I was trying to launch it say to drag race it bogs itl pick up right after the bog ...

I plan on replacing everything quite a bit of things an only reason I trust the kid is bc he went through a friend of mine through a Facebook page to get a new jug bc he brought the 96 an it had a 01 jug about 3 weeks ago so they swapped it's funny bc my buddy had a 01 with a 96 top end neither of them ran so they swapped an rebuilt tops

96 is a finicky year. it has the conventional forks. If the bike still has the stock PJ carb, that could be the cause of the issues, I had a 96 250 with the stock carb and chased my tail for months trying to rejet the carb, and never got the bike running well. The bike would idle, but foul plugs left and right, or it wouldn't idle but would run like a scolded cat. this included pilot main and needle change with no luck at all.

Also, if you can get ahold of it, run ethanol free gas, suzuki manual says 32:1 thats how I mixed, but mix how you like. Don't ever believe someone when they say the bike has a new top end unless they have pictures, receipts, and possibly old parts. other than that, pull the engine out and rebuild it. it is fairly simple with a service manual.

It came with an after market keihn I plan on doing full rebuild I built my 400ex sure It can't be harder then that which wasn't hard with YouTube

Last edited: