I made the switch (2t to 4t)-- what should I know?

So it's been a while since my last post here! After fixing the fiasco with my brakes (doh! master cylinder..) I started taking the bike out to the track. After putting it around (one time so bad that I killed a spark plug), I began to realize the 2t was a bit too much bike for me.

Earlier this spring I finally made the switch from a 250 2t (YZ250) to a 250 4t (KX250F)-- I guess I also made a blue to green switch too. The major reason for the switch: the 250 2t was good for woods where I wouldn't get out of 2nd or 3rd gear often, but I found it to be really too much bike for me when I would take it on the track. Seeing as that's where I want to spend more of my time riding lately, I decided I needed less power. The reason from going blue to green is honestly price. Sorry Yamaha :( my loyalty can only stretch as far as my wallet.

I've been pretty busy, but I've been able to get 8 hours in on the new bike. The switch was not as natural as I had hoped, but I would definitely say I now feel better on the track with the 4t. I'm not quite to the point of ringing it out since I would certainly classify myself as a motocross novice, but I suspect the fact that I never hit the rev limiter may help the engine last a bit longer? :) Even so, I'm sure I'll miss the 2t when I finally get it sold.

I've been doing standard maintenance: oiling air filter before every ride (cleaning every 6: it's not very dusty where I ride and intake always looks clean, probably replace at around 10 hours for piece of mind though), changing the oil and cleaning oil filter every 6-8 (just went through my first oil change since break in), chain adjustments/lubing, carefully washing after rides (i.e. no power washer and never put away wet), etc-- the typical maintenance I would also do on my 2t.

The bigger thing I'm concerned about I suppose is engine maintenance. I've read a bit about checking the valve clearances every 15 hours and shimming if/when necessary (plan to do that when I get there), but is there any other low hanging fruit that I should keep an eye on? This bike is also fuel injected, so while I don't have to worry about the carb and jetting anymore, is there any routine maintenance you guys can think of for EFI?

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of manual cam chain tensioners. They bring me great piece of mind.

good to know! Being as it's a new bike (I talked the dealer to give me OTD on this within 25% of buying used), I haven't even had to look at the cams or cam chain yet :) I suppose when I go in to check the valves that will be important

No don't do this. :prof:
Oh? please elaborate? :)

Try to run gas free of ethanol if you can.
Short shifting can help to prolong engine life.
:needpics:

Great tips. The only ethanol free gas I can find anywhere in the state so far happens to be at the track I ride, so I should pick some up next time I'm there :) I'm also the king of short shifting... which definitely makes me a slower guy on the track, but hey? At least I'll have something to ride xD

And how could I forget!? Here are some pics of the day I broke her in:

17818902_275501172873056_5573409795358064640_n.jpg

17819095_1620807987947597_3698697647721283584_n.jpg

Boy, she was pretty. One mid-air fumble and 2 corner stacks later the plastics are a bit dinged up now and the front fender is scratched :cry: Plan to be able to get out tomorrow morning-- maybe can grab a more recent pic after that. She's still pretty :) but now you can tell somebody has ridden her.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Oh? please elaborate? :)

Great tips. The only ethanol free gas I can find anywhere in the state so far happens to be at the track I ride, so I should pick some up next time I'm there :) I'm also the king of short shifting... which definitely makes me a slower guy on the track, but hey? At least I'll have something to ride xD

And how could I forget!? Here are some pics of the day I broke her in:

View attachment 30909

View attachment 30910

Boy, she was pretty. One mid-air fumble and 2 corner stacks later the plastics are a bit dinged up now and the front fender is scratched :cry: Plan to be able to get out tomorrow morning-- maybe can grab a more recent pic after that. She's still pretty :) but now you can tell somebody has ridden her.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Follow the maintenance schedule in your manual. It's there for a reason as it gives the correct intervals for service.
As for power difference there isn't really any difference in power from the 2t to the 4t. It's all in the delivery.

Well, just because you changed from a YZ250 to a @#%*(#@#$! I don't hate you any more than I did before. :smirk:

Looks like you did what you wanted to do. And listen t Mike, he knows what he is talking about 50% of the time.

Nice bike!!

Nice scooter and you made the right choice since it sounds like you are more comfortable on the 4t. Its all about enjoying the day and ride, then battling it and trying to convince yourself.

Do the maintenance as stated in the manual and you will be golden.
:ride: