How to start a kid on a bike.

Since I'm learning on this I thought other may need some ideas.

1. Turn the throttle stop out so they can't sit wide open in 1st.
2. Ride down the road beside them and have them shift to speed up and slow down.
3. Add a flywheel weight if you have one
4. Gear it down while they are learning to shift
5. Always remember to completely gear them from head to toe!
6. Mix your oil thick in a 2 stroke cause they are going to rev the heck out of it.
7. If its a used bike and new to you change all the fluids (Including the fuel) before you let them ride it.
8. Don't push them but rather help them understand why they need to shift.
9. Explain they don't have to pin it in first or second, they can run half the throttle in the next gear.
10. Make them maintain there bike. It helps them understand what is going on and teaches them to take care of there stuff.

Guys please feel free to add to this.

10, I always make my son stand right next to me any time I am wrenching on his bike and have him do as much of the work as I possibly can. It will teach them how to work on it and why it is important to maintain it. Plus I make him pay for most of the stuff as he has three grass cutting jobs so he has the money and if they put their money into the bike they seem to care a little more for it and take pride in ownership.

10, I always make my son stand right next to me any time I am wrenching on his bike and have him do as much of the work as I possibly can. It will teach them how to work on it and why it is important to maintain it. Plus I make him pay for most of the stuff as he has three grass cutting jobs so he has the money and if they put their money into the bike they seem to care a little more for it and take pride in ownership.

When we got home from riding my boy ran in and jumped on the PS3 I shut the TV off and told him the ride wasn't over until his bike was clean and ready for the next ride and his gear was put up. His dad just lets the 70 he rides sit in the rain and has never had anything done to it yet.:rolleyes:

When we got home from riding my boy ran in and jumped on the PS3 I shut the TV off and told him the ride wasn't over until his bike was clean and ready for the next ride and his gear was put up. His dad just lets the 70 he rides sit in the rain and has never had anything done to it yet.:rolleyes:
xr's dont need anything done to them haha...

This is a good way for them to learn. I make my kid do the same thing when I am working on his bike. Kids these days are lazy in my opinion and all of them want to sit with that electronic gizmo in their face. I always wanted to tool on my own equipment but kids these days are content to do nothing when it comes to maintenance.

This is a good way for them to learn. I make my kid do the same thing when I am working on his bike. Kids these days are lazy in my opinion and all of them want to sit with that electronic gizmo in their face. I always wanted to tool on my own equipment but kids these days are content to do nothing when it comes to maintenance.

Well I know (2) 200xr's that I ruined growing up cause I didn't know how to maintain them.:smirk: Heck I Rode them hard everyday in the summer and I think I cleaned the air filter once a year and changed the oil then too.:devil:

Well I know (2) 200xr's that I ruined growing up cause I didn't know how to maintain them.:smirk: Heck I Rode them hard everyday in the summer and I think I cleaned the air filter once a year and changed the oil then too.:devil:

What are you talking about, when I was growing up, I didn't even know my bikes had oil or filter :lol: My dad just said "here you go, ride them unitl they break and I will buy you another". He used to buy us 50 bikes out of the paper all the time. :smirk:

hey i work on my bike and im a "kid" i do more work on them than my dad lol which is why my bikes are so crappy, idk wtf im doing half the time i work on them then my dad fixes them when i break them but i can do 80% of the wok myself like change fluids, and well really anything but change cranks and stuff but probly could if i tryed and dad was there to help me along so i dont jack it up. but you get the point

hey i work on my bike and im a "kid" i do more work on them than my dad lol which is why my bikes are so crappy, idk wtf im doing half the time i work on them then my dad fixes them when i break them but i can do 80% of the wok myself like change fluids, and well really anything but change cranks and stuff but probly could if i tryed and dad was there to help me along so i dont jack it up. but you get the point

:picard: