How to prep my Dirt bike for the dunes?

I have a 2002 Yamaha YZ250f and i am going to ride in the dunes for the first time on a dirt bike. I am going to Glamis. i was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to prep and ride my bike in the dunes and if there are any good techniques i can use? I have a paddle tire but it only has 6 paddles on it, is that enough? thanks.

Lol yeah It wasn't really my thing, a 250 2stroke feels like a 65 in the dunes lol. Full power with the engine screaming of abuse and you just dont get anywhere lol. I think a 500 2stroke is the weapon to use in the dunes. Good luck bro

Think I used a 10 paddle

What I did was have a seperate chain and sprocket kit for the dunes. You need a longer chain wen using a paddle. And don't forget a flag and flag mount. Ready to rip

Eight!
Unmounted, sitting in the shed collecting dust. Want me to out it on CL and sally it? The rim has been sold on one of the bike I restored.

Last edited:
Dune riding is riding a bike on the pipe all day. It will abuse your motor over time. Once in awhile is not bad. My son rode a YZ250F in the dunes years ago at Dumont. It was alright. We did not run paddles. I was on a YZ250 and we just lowered the air pressure. We had no problems running the dunes that way.

Prep wise, like JimYZ said either get another chain or run yours if it allows to move the wheel back far enough. Also do not run tacky chain lube, it will just collect the sand. I cleaned my chain really good before hand and lubed it with WD40 and wiped it down to get off the excess. Sand gets every where.

I hope you are not going to the dunes soon as it is blazing down there. Also I would recomend running some race fuel for higher octane, this will allow the motor to run cooler.

Have fun and post pics of your ride after.:ride: