How do you tie your bike down?

I have always used two ratchet or pull straps from the the handlebars to the floor.

I have seen the Moto Cinch system and was wondering if you can duplicate that with ratchet straps or turnbuckles. I have seen it done with turnbuckles but they all put a milk crate or box under the bike to keep it stable, while the Moto Cinch does not require that...why not?

I have also heard of people tying to the roof of a van/enclosed trailer. And people stuffing the front wheel into the corner and tying to the wall and some other point. I am wondering this because I am considering buying a cargo van to convert into a moto van.

So...how do yall do it? Creative ways require a picture. :wink:

I'll start off with how me and my buddy do it (strap the bikes in....) in his moto van.

1016860_692919130732955_1333718437_n.jpg

I would like to stray from this idea because the straps do get in the way and there is not much extra space.

I always use soft ties at the handle bars so I don't bugger up the bars surface. I also go from bars to floor but I did change out the hook at the bottom for a carabiner style because I lost a bike off a trailer once when the hook came undone from going over bumps. :bonk:

Whatever I've hauled my bikes in/on I've always used the pull type tie downs (Ancra brand to be exact), I've never had a problem with them hold the bike down (except for the one that broke from bewing too old.)

I am so seriously old school that I don't feel the need for the soft tie ends as the hooks have a rubber coating on it anyways (unless so old it peeled off). I DO have a pair of soft end tie downs... bought them to see what the fuss was all about... not overly impressed, for that matter, their more of a PITA because you have to feed the loop end thru/under/over the cables/wires, etc. where-as with a hook you just hook it on. :cheers:

I only use ratchet straps on 4 wheeled vehicles because that's what they were intended for. :noidea:

The Caribiner thingy is a good idea! :thumb:

What is a Moto-Cinch?

You should see my tie downs. You know that plastic rubber coating, :lol:. The soft ties I use are simply a length of material with a loop at both ends that you wrap around your bars. Real simple and they can be used with any tie downs.

You should see my tie downs. You know that plastic rubber coating, :lol:. The soft ties I use are simply a length of material with a loop at both ends that you wrap around your bars. Real simple and they can be used with any tie downs.

I know of the stuff you're talking about... similar if not the same thing as the pair I have... sure they work great but I'm not worried about the little scuffs I "might" get with bare hooks... if anything you might get a longer length with the soft ends... :noidea:

The sinch type work because they are mounted to the floor and hold the pegs. The same reason to use the milk crate and such. I prefer the caribiner/soft tie type. You can go right above the bottom part of triple clamp. This will wear on the anodized fork though. I have used Harbor Freight tie downs as well. What ever you use, just remember the trip. The longer, the more secure you make them.

The sinch type work because they are mounted to the floor and hold the pegs. The same reason to use the milk crate and such. I prefer the caribiner/soft tie type. You can go right above the bottom part of triple clamp. This will wear on the anodized fork though. I have used Harbor Freight tie downs as well. What ever you use, just remember the trip. The longer, the more secure you make them.

I'm thinking it would be tough getting to the cinch on the inside of the second bike going in... tie downs are up front and easy to get to. Just a thought. :thinking: