Other How can I tell if the gears are working on a non running bike

I am looking to buy a Yz 490 1986. The bike is not running how can I tell if the gears are working the clutch cable is not hooked up if I push clutch by hand it seems like it shifts into first (one down) but when I try klik shifter all way up (for second) it goes back into neutral ......does the bike need to be running to shift ? Thanks for your time hope someone can help me

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hello. Yes, the transmission needs to be spinning to shift. You can simulate this by rocking the bike back and forth with the chain on while shifting. Might take some effort but my 490 will go through the gears this way. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Hello. Yes, the transmission needs to be spinning to shift. You can simulate this by rocking the bike back and forth with the chain on while shifting. Might take some effort but my 490 will go through the gears this way. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Right on thanks so much for the help guy wants $300 for it needs a lot of work I'll set up another look at it n try that thanks again for your help have nice day

Put it on a stand and roll the wheel back and forth with one hand and shift with the other hand clickity click you will be able to feel every gear.

hey plumbing background is a good fit, lots of pressure systems clean mating surfaces and crucial alignment mechanisms and a carb is just a little toilet
Ha ha

plumbingpic.jpg

ha ha maybe you should buy the basket case and do an autopsy just to get a glimpse of what's inside. Them eBay the parts an get your money back!

hey plumbing background is a good fit, lots of pressure systems clean mating surfaces and crucial alignment mechanisms and a carb is just a little toilet
Ha ha

plumbingpic.jpg

ha ha maybe you should buy the basket case and do an autopsy just to get a glimpse of what's inside. Them eBay the parts an get your money back!
Plumber only needs to know three things paydays on Friday shit runs downhill and don't bite your fingernails

Take the sparkplug out and the engine will turn over easily enough that you can keep shifting up and see if they are all there. The 490 was a dream engine compared to the first few years of KX 500 engines. Tough as a stone, but they shake enough that things come off. It is still a VERY fast straight line bike.

Take the sparkplug out and the engine will turn over easily enough that you can keep shifting up and see if they are all there. The 490 was a dream engine compared to the first few years of KX 500 engines. Tough as a stone, but they shake enough that things come off. It is still a VERY fast straight line bike.
Right on Thanx for the input