Other Honda CRF450 Knocking

I recently picked up a 2005 Honda CRF450. When I test rode it it ran perfectly, had plenty of power, and it had nothing that I could notice wrong with it. I have owned it for about 2 days now and rode it everyday, but when I started it today it ran fine, but then died randomly when I was warming it up. I started it back up and it started making this knocking sound and died right after the noise started. I tried starting it again, ran for a second with the noise, then died. It was a cold day today, it was around 20 degrees in my garage when I tried starting the bike.
I have no clue what this would be, I am going to change the oil in the bike before I do anything else and wait until the weather warms up to try and start the bike again. I haven't put new gas in the bike since the previous owner had it, either.

Last edited:
I think I would drain the oil in the crankcase and look for excess metal. That may be hard for you to know what excess really is. i would also remove the plug and look at it for damage or contact with anything. From there go to the valve cover and see if you have clearance at all 4. Then try adding some gas and restarting if you dont find any smoking gun(s). 12 years old if it is original, it could be well past the 'shelf' life where the valves, crankshaft, and cam chain are concerned.

I think I would drain the oil in the crankcase and look for excess metal. That may be hard for you to know what excess really is. i would also remove the plug and look at it for damage or contact with anything. From there go to the valve cover and see if you have clearance at all 4. Then try adding some gas and restarting if you dont find any smoking gun(s). 12 years old if it is original, it could be well past the 'shelf' life where the valves, crankshaft, and cam chain are concerned.
I appreciate your help. I will do all of that and get back on here.

Last edited:
*Update* I heated up the garage and put a space heater next to the bike to heat it up. I started up the bike and it ran good, no noises. I didn't run it very long, only for about 5 seconds but it seemed to run good. Tomorrow I will change the oil all around the bike, check coolant, run sea foam through with new fuel, and change the filters around the bike.

good deal, cold oil does make it hard to start sometimes
So I am looking up some of the best oils to use with the bike. I came to the conclusion of using Lucas Oil Semi-Synthetic 10w - 40. Would it be safe to use this for the transmission side as well? On the owners manual it said to use 10w - 40 transmission or motor oil for the transmission side.

I like any of the diesel oils, 15-40 in the mineral variety. Delo has worked for me in my large diesels, getting oil pressure sooner on cold startups than any mineral oil. Very popular here where it is cold. Their hydrocracking process seems to produce on oil, with less wax content. Valvoline makes the oil that cummins bottles under it's own name, and it is the same oil you can buy from napa (among others) in the store branded bottle. Making it an excellent choice too. I have seen nothing in the field that makes me think any of them have an advantage when it comes to lubricating a warm and running engine any better than the other.