High Mountain Tour RR

I was PM'ed by a guy "johnrunner89" that is on the old site who needed to be shown around the Silverwood/Arrow Head/Big Bear area. Being it is late Fall early Winter I thought as long as the weather was good we could get a ride in. Sunny and 42 deg was good enough. I asked him about riding experience and that normal questions to make sure it wouldn't be a rescue mission. Come to find out, 1) He put himself on a 99 YZ250 for a first learning bike a year or so ago. 2) His brother (twin) decided he would like to ride and picked up a 02 YZ250 for his first bike half a year or so ago. 3) Dad had never ridden dirt bikes, and he had rented a CRF230 for the day for him to ride. So, Sunday 12-11 I met up with him, his brother and dad at the Micky D off of the 138 and 15. I showed them the map of the place and figured the Dam would be our staging area also handed him 6 DBA stickers to insure he had a place to hang his hat. This would give dad plenty of seat time on the fire road before the first 50" around the sewer plant. If he can clear that than he can do all the 3W trails around Pinnacles. Our destination if all goes well, "Devils Hole".
Not too many pictures but good enough for a light RR and to get his family names out as "Good People" to be with.
Staging area shots:
These are the three Amigos, Martin Sr., Martin Jr., and John.
DSC07832.jpg

P841 Jr.Jr.
DSC07833.jpg

Corinne's and my bike
DSC07834.jpg

T1 on my CRF230F
DSC07835.jpg

John has a blue tooth communication devise that he and his brother usually use but Martin Jr. gave his to dad so John could keep an eye on his dad and give him pointers on his riding. This is the turn before heading up and way over Silverwood Lake. John and dad:
DSC07836.jpg

Corinne telling me in hand language she is having fun:
DSC07838.jpg

More to follow...

After a few incidents and me more concern with the groups well being we made it up to the Pinnacles Staging area. We had one rider John, EHUM......hit the ice at the first water crossing and threw himself into the creek for a cold bath. I missed the whole thing because T1, P841 Jr. Jr. and I were off on all the side shoots doing the more technical trails and having a blast while Corinne was keeping to the fire road and an eye on the new guys. Here is John taking a picture of the group:
DSC07839.jpg

T1 ripping a berm:
DSC07840.jpg

Having fun:
DSC07841.jpg

Looking back at the group:
DSC07842.jpg

So after the spill in the creek and the stop at Pinnacles all the water areas we came to caution was taken to not hit the ice skates. Martin Sr stalled out as he came around this and T1 gave him a hand.
DSC07843.jpg

Followed by Martin Jr.
DSC07844.jpg

Then Corinne. The guy going the other way was trying to splash her I think and lucky he didn't because you would want 6 guys chasing you down for a case of whoop ass!
DSC07845.jpg

If you notice all that "white looking rock" around them puddles you will see that they are actually ice cubes/chunks.
DSC07846.jpg

DSC07847.jpg

More shall be on its way...:thumb:

All the jeep trails up there are wide and fun at a clipping speed. :smirk: In some places there are rock gardens. Here is Sr. coming through the last part. I stopped at this point because I was watching some (5) quads try and get through a ice bath. Puddle that was about 60' (ft) long and full of Ice cubes from all the 4X4 traffic.
DSC07848.jpg

Next along was John:
DSC07849.jpg

Then Jr.
DSC07850.jpg

Corinne ran sweep most the day to insure we held the line.
DSC07851.jpg

Dinner time so I'll BBL.

So P841 Jr. Jr. told them to pick up the rear of the quad and drive out but the insisted on roping and pulling. We just went around the clowns. I should have took pictures of one of the guys that decided to make a waterfall shower by spinning his rears. Here is the other side watching for my crew to get around.
DSC07852.jpg

P841 Jr. Jr. had already come around and went back to help Sr.
DSC07853.jpg

DSC07854.jpg

P841 Jr. Jr. on the rented CRF230
DSC07855.jpg

DSC07856.jpg

This is the last stuck quad after his waterfall soaking. :smirk:
DSC07857.jpg

John coming around.
DSC07858.jpg

Corinne pulling up and around.
DSC07859.jpg

DSC07860.jpg

DSC07861.jpg

DSC07862.jpg

That was quite the Ice Hole.. :moon: :P
Need to run to Costco...More to follow. :thumb:

That seems to be different terrain than what I'm used to seeing out there. :noidea:

Great report Palmer. :ride:

Hey John, feel free to introduce yourself here. :thumb:
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/all-about-dirt-bike-addicts/new-members/

Just posted a quick introduction thread, thanks for the link! :thumb:

And yea, most people I talk to from other states seem to think we have mainly desert riding out here in Socal. But truth is we have a wide variety of stuff if you don't mind driving a little bit to get there. All of the trails here are near Silverwood and Big Bear (San Bernardino National Forest I believe).

James

Staff member
And yea, most people I talk to from other states seem to think we have mainly desert riding out here in Socal. But truth is we have a wide variety of stuff if you don't mind driving a little bit to get there. All of the trails here are near Silverwood and Big Bear (San Bernardino National Forest I believe).
I've seen some of KTMRack's RR's from up around him (Fresno) and he has a lot of trees. :lol:

Excellent ride RR so far! Keep it coming Gary! :thumb:

Hey, nice to see you join John....
Was a fun ride for sure, happy to show you guys around.

"ice hole" :picard: :rolleyes:

I thought Rez would have picked up on that first...:smirk: Oh wait, he is only on here when he is supposed to be working....:devil:

That seems to be different terrain than what I'm used to seeing out there. :noidea:

Great report Palmer. :ride:

Hey John, feel free to introduce yourself here. :thumb:
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/all-about-dirt-bike-addicts/new-members/

James,
you really need to have Rack show you around his place, way better riding than this for sure.. :prof:
I still need to get up to his place for a ride. I am sure it is probably even better than LPNF...shhhhh...Don' tell Geek....:P