Helpin GMA look for a TV...

looking for something around 37-42 with the best possible color and what not... she's running an old tv thats in a wooden cabinet and the remote is built into the front so i'm sure she's not gonna be too disappointing in anything new...lol. Any brands to stay away from? Looking at a bunch around 400-500, figure a 720p will work but 1080p would be nice...

1080 at 120hz is what I would be looking at but being that this is for an older person they probably would never know the difference, I know from experience with my mother. If you have any Costco stores in your area they have Vizio that seem decent for the price. If it was for me I would go different. FYI

1080 at 120hz is what I would be looking at but being that this is for an older person they probably would never know the difference, I know from experience with my mother. If you have any Costco stores in your area they have Vizio that seem decent for the price. If it was for me I would go different. FYI

My roommate got a philips 47" 1080p 120hz lcd from walmart.com last year for $650, its been awesome! Not 1 issue.

cool cool.. i live with her so i'm trying for something good... :smirk: she said she doesn't mind paying more for a good tv vs a cheap tv and when i measured out 42" she didn't think she wants one that big :bonk:

Best buy is the best place so far, flat screens are pretty cheap now :noidea: we just got a really really nice one from westinghouse mabey :noidea: That, LG or panosonic and it wasn't much at all.

cool cool.. i live with her so i'm trying for something good... :smirk: she said she doesn't mind paying more for a good tv vs a cheap tv and when i measured out 42" she didn't think she wants one that big :bonk:

Not knowing what you/she considers "more money"...it's hard to say what would be good.for your situation. We bought a 42 inch for our den from Best Buy...I think we paid a few hundy for it...great picture. :noidea:

So pretty much any 1080@120 is good then huh... She pretty much has no budget but I know she doesn't want to spend a lot on a tv even thought it's the first she's bought in 40 years...lol. I just didn't want her to get something that's gonna break in a year

So pretty much any 1080@120 is good then huh... She pretty much has no budget but I know she doesn't want to spend a lot on a tv even thought it's the first she's bought in 40 years...lol. I just didn't want her to get something that's gonna break in a year

Good luck with that!! When I bought my Toshiba TV, I opted to spend 150 for extended 3 year warranty and damn glad I did. I have already replaced the projector bulb twice and some other part I have no idea what it was called all under that extended warranty. Now if another bulb goes out it $250 bucks out of my pocket.

Some TVs (like everything else) are easier to use than others, might want to play with a few in the store. I would assume ease of use would be important.

i got a vizio from costco many years ago. the first one had some problem and after 2 years they gave me a brand new TV that was better then the one before because they didn't make it anymore. Costco + Vizeo CS is really good.

If you are a eye snob you will notice flaws with the vizio. colors are not as good and some other TV's are better looking. For the price Vizio is the best tho. They make a really good low end TV.

James

Staff member
I got a 720p Vizio back when Vizio was just making a name for themselves (:noidea: 06-07). Haven't had any real issues with them.

Yes 1080p 120Hz is the "latest" resolution out there, however you'll have to choose between LCD and LED technology.

If you are a eye snob you will notice flaws with the vizio. colors are not as good and some other TV's are better looking. For the price Vizio is the best tho. They make a really good low end TV.
:thumb: Vizio has a great "bang-for-the-buck" factor.

Good luck with that!! When I bought my Toshiba TV, I opted to spend 150 for extended 3 year warranty and damn glad I did. I have already replaced the projector bulb twice and some other part I have no idea what it was called all under that extended warranty. Now if another bulb goes out it $250 bucks out of my pocket.
yeah this is what i want to avoid seeing as she's had the same TV for the last 30-40 years and it still works good as new.
Some TVs (like everything else) are easier to use than others, might want to play with a few in the store. I would assume ease of use would be important.
she's got DISH so theres not going to be much change in the controls... seems like everyone i know has multiple remotes though, you can just run the sound and everything from the dish remote right? My dads got a remote for the TV, the surround sound and directv