Help, what to buy?

Hi I am 13 173cm tall and weigh 73kg I currently ride a JR80 and have been riding for 4 years not racing but it’s way to small now and I have gotten the most out of it i kind of want to start racing though but not sure what bike to buy a 85 is to small for me my friend suggested a crf150r but I found out these bikes are not very good for a top 5 finish and the 85s smoke them should I get a 125 my friend said a 125 would be to much power coming from a 80 though
Help!

Last edited:
If you want to race and you are just starting out go with a 2 stroke, yz125 if you want to go new. Easier maintenance and cheaper parts. If you buy smaller you will want a bigger bike in a year. The yz'z are bullet proof. Plus on a 2 stroke you actually have to learn good technique but the 4 strokes are easier to ride.

If you want to race and you are just starting out go with a 2 stroke, yz125 if you want to go new. Easier maintenance and cheaper parts. If you buy smaller you will want a bigger bike in a year. The yz'z are bullet proof. Plus on a 2 stroke you actually have to learn good technique but the 4 strokes are easier to ride.
Ok thanks I think a yz125 is a good choice aswell what’s the price range and what year should I get?

Ok thanks I think a yz125 is a good choice aswell what’s the price range and what year should I get?

They haven't changed much in the past 10 years. You can get a new one for around $6500 but if you buy used do your research. If you look on line there are videos on what to look for.

Yamaha yz125 went from 6 speed to 5 speed back to 6 speed. Changes to the engine porting a CDI are the bigest changes. The body style has kept the same as the 250 from 2002-2014 and 15-18.

2002-2004 are the 5 speeds

125 is a squirly bike and should be ridden on the pipe all the time, were a 250 does not have to be.

I would recomend you ride a buddies 125 and a 250 and decide if you can. I think getting a 125 you are selling yourself short.

My boys have risen 125 that I bought before restoration and they just don't do it after the power of a 250.

Power is in your wrist...