help please rmz 450

Hello everyone! Looking for some help...I did my oil change about 8 months ago then parked the bike. I took it out yesterday for a ride. Ran it for about 2 hrs. I noticed a noise as I pulled the clutch in to shift. Sorta like a wherring.. not a metal grinding noise.. so I stopped to listen to the noise. It only made it when the clutch lever was in. so I headed back to my truck as it didn't sound right. Long story short the bike stalled I tried to kick it over and kick start would not move. i tried to bump start it nothing. But the kick start loosend up. I tried to kick it over again and there was way more resistins and i heard metal on metal rubbing. Got bike home took out oil filter and it was covered in metal. fine metal.... not shavings or chunks. The motor only has about 32hrs on it and I've done oil changes regularly.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome! Sorry to hear of such troubles!
I know for sure you are going to need to completely disassemble, clean the motor components, and inspect if you hear metal on metal grinding, backed up with shavings in the filter.

I imagine it has something to do with the kick start mechanism, start there. - BIG DAN:thumb:

It could be the kick starter, but I fear it is an oil pressure issue. If so the metal is from the cam journals as they are the very first things that show wear when the oil pressure becomes low. The low oil pressure can be caused by the oil filter being installed backwards, a plugged oil pick up screen at the oil pump as they have to be cleaned regularly or low oil volumn due to a leak.
Was you oil level ok?

Paw Paw

Welcome Dave......don't think I can add much more than a welcome as you got the same answers from the other members I would have given.....let us know if you have any more questions or updates.

at first it sounds like a clutch issue due to the fact that once a bike sits that long without moving the clutch fibers dry up and stick like crazy, but then you say all that metal shavings and then I tend to :run: