Help finding a dirt bike please? :)

All I want is a decent starter dirt bike... About 150cc+ or maybe a 125cc. I'm in the west coast FL region and I'm not worried to drive a bit for a nice deal. The only thing is, I'm on a budget... $600 is all I have to buy it including all parts if I'll need to buy any. Please help me

SRAD97750

Staff member
Well, For $600, you're going to get A bike home, but it won't be ready to ride. It'll take easily $1000 for a great starter bike in 'ready to ride' condition.
Even when I tried my best to keep the bike for my dad under $1000, it was still high $900s when all was said and done.
I say get one home and work on it slowly until it's ready, or save up your cash and find that one 'ready to ride' bike that someone wants to sacrifice at a heavy loss.
So keep a hot eye out on craigslist and your ear to the ground with your cash IN HAND. Be ready to pounce on the right deal when it comes by. Patience. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:
Your description of the bike covers a lot of ground. If I knew your size and weight better I could make a more educated guess with you. If you are really a beginner and under 5'6" tall I would say one of the 125 cc 4 strokes like a tt125 would be a good thing to look for. 600 gets tougher but finding someone trying to stay out of jail or feeding a habit may get you there.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I found a Yamato 150cc in ready to ride condition with no problems for $350. What do you think?
I would not suggest a chinabike as a starter. Their construction is poor and suspension is typically terrible.
Look to the japanese manufacturers. -BIG DAN:thumb:

take pics of it before you buy and post them here some of the guys here that know a lot more then I do may be able to help you decide if its a good buy or not

Have you got a good set of boots for walking and pushing? How far from your pickup will your "trailrides" take you. There are lots of dead ones or nearly dead ones avail her for even less money fyi.

do9y01.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
sdecyd.jpg

Could someone possibly tell me what year this is? Or is it impossible to tell from pics?
Impossible, but probably mid 2000s.

Welcome to the dirty world! We welcome you.

Remember to check all your nuts and bolts regularly.
Keep an eye out for loose spokes.
Change the oil regularly. There is no filter in these OHC models. Just a screen. Clean it.

If you have any issues, post up and we'll set you in the right direction.
I have quite a few chinese models, and the downside is the suspension, quality of hardware, and part availability. If you have any wiring issues... I've got you covered...

But it got you on 2 wheels, and RIDING IS RIDING. Be sure you post up photos and viedo of you riding it and having a good time! -BIG DAN:thumb:

if you can get the bikes vin number give Yamoto a call they may be able to tell you what year it is if you give them the bikes vin number or if there is a Yamoto dealer in your area they also may be able to tell you what year its if you give them the vin

SRAD97750

Staff member
if you can get the bikes vin number give Yamoto a call they may be able to tell you what year it is if you give them the bikes vin number or if there is a Yamoto dealer in your area they also may be able to tell you what year its if you give them the vin
In the US, Yamoto is sold from the back of trucks by folks who purchase a portion of a shipping container full of these bad boys from china. They will have no information other than what they were given at the time of purchase, which may be false information anyway.
Yamoto specifically is an Australian company re-badging chinese models with their Sikk graphixx and selling them abroad.

Probably will not have a 17 digit vin, and without an actual manufacturer's company name and 'Statement of Origin,' in most states, it will be unregisterable. But that doesn't mean your state/situation requires registration at any point either. RIDE ON!-BIG DAN:thumb: