Helmet laws...

This is crazy lol..

"A biker in upstate New York who was participating in a ride to protest helmet laws died after he crashed his motorcycle and hit his head, authorities said.
Philip A. Contos, 55, was killed on Saturday afternoon during a ride in Onondaga when his 1983 Harley skidded out of control and he flipped over the handlebars, the Post-Standard reported.
Contos was riding in a "helmet protest run" with a group organized by American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, authorities said.
On its website, the group says it promotes motorcycle safety, awareness and education and organizes motorcycle rides.
Doctors at Upstate University Hospital, where Contos was pronounced dead, said he would have survived if he was wearing a helmet

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ide_protesting_helmet_laws.html#ixzz1R6SymZGr

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ide_protesting_helmet_laws.html#ixzz1R5cguj00

James

Staff member
:picard:

I'm actually against those laws myself, but probably not in the way you'd expect. I'm against the part where the guberment decides what's best for me, not the wearing a helmet part. Heck IMO you're :bleep: stupid if you don't wear one, same with seat belts.

:picard:

I'm actually against those laws myself, but probably not in the way you'd expect. I'm against the part where the guberment decides what's best for me, not the wearing a helmet part. Heck IMO you're :bleep: stupid if you don't wear one, same with seat belts.

This is the stance I always took, you should be allowed to think and act for yourself as long as you don't physically hurt anyone else in the process.

I think it should be your own judgement... On helmets...

And i was always against seatbelt laws becouse i hate wearing them... My dad was a police officer for like 30 years.. And one day he said... Now if you wreck with people in the car... your body will be flying around..... So.. That is the only good argument ive ever really hear... I never wear my seatbelt... Unless my neice or nephew is with me... Or i did when my g/f was with me ..

Helmets and seatbelts. I'm fairly certain that both have saved my life. Perhaps more than once.

The whole personal freedom thing is one argument, but so is the paying for someone. I seem to remember that the chances of not quite dying and being left severely disabled is a lot greater without a helmet. So that kind of has me leaning in the helmet law direction.

James

Staff member
You do have a valid point Cleo. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason we even have them, trying to cut down on medical expenses.

BTW I believe not wearing a helmet/seat belt is modern day natural selection. :smirk:

i thought it was the opposite... people who dont wear their seatbelts and helmets DIE where as people who do wear their seatbelts are mamed and mangled but stay alive which costs us tax payers more money via hospitals and what not.

i am all for us making our own decisions... i cant stand that the gov puts its hand in every little thing like this.

This is crazy lol..

"A biker in upstate New York who was participating in a ride to protest helmet laws died after he crashed his motorcycle and hit his head, authorities said.
Philip A. Contos, 55, was killed on Saturday afternoon during a ride in Onondaga when his 1983 Harley skidded out of control and he flipped over the handlebars, the Post-Standard reported.
Contos was riding in a "helmet protest run" with a group organized by American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, authorities said.
On its website, the group says it promotes motorcycle safety, awareness and education and organizes motorcycle rides.
Doctors at Upstate University Hospital, where Contos was pronounced dead, said he would have survived if he was wearing a helmet

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ide_protesting_helmet_laws.html#ixzz1R6SymZGr

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ide_protesting_helmet_laws.html#ixzz1R5cguj00

This just make no sense to me.... I have always wore my helmet, even when I was a youth at the Dez races and we would ride out to the start of other races to watch in the summer. We mostly would only have on shorts and tennis shoes, but we always had on our helmets.

Helmet Laws are dumb, People who ride without a helmet are even dumber.

Thats how i feel. Id never ride without a helmet but i dont think we need the .gov to put its hand into this issue and control what we want to do.

i mean what the fuck is next? if helmets are mandatory because of a safety issue whats to stop them from saying motorcycles are dangerous all together and make them illegal as well. The sad thing is that the laws are there not because they are SOOOO concerned about our safety but because of politics and money.

This just make no sense to me.... I have always wore my helmet, even when I was a youth at the Dez races and we would ride out to the start of other races to watch in the summer. We mostly would only have on shorts and tennis shoes, but we always had on our helmets.
Agreed, Thats how I break in my oil every 8 hours. If my mom catches me putting around in short and converse and I'm wearing a helmet, all I get is a "Hey dinner is ready! Time to eat!" but no helmet, I'll walk into the house and get my ass beat. Plain and simple
Helmet Laws are dumb, People who ride without a helmet law are even dumber.

Thats how i feel. Id never ride without a helmet but i dont think we need the .gov to put its hand into this issue and control what we want to do.

i mean what the fuck is next? if helmets are mandatory because of a safety issue whats to stop them from saying motorcycles are dangerous all together and make them illegal as well. The sad thing is that the laws are there not because they are SOOOO concerned about our safety but because of politics and money.
Very ture. Hey! You remember how they are outlawing kids bikes! What do you know!?

-Dear D.C.

Please go fuck yourself.

-Sincer regards, RJ Suppan number 55-

Agreed, Thats how I break in my oil every 8 hours. If my mom catches me putting around in short and converse and I'm wearing a helmet, all I get is a "Hey dinner is ready! Time to eat!" but no helmet, I'll walk into the house and get my ass beat. Plain and simple
You break in your oil?:shocked: you let a 250f go 8hrs on an oil change:shocked:

You break in your oil?:shocked: you let a 250f go 8hrs on an oil change:shocked:

Yeah :noidea: Alwayshave always will. I can't really say I break it in, but take my bike for a spin down the street to get it pumped through and make sure there's not leaks, ect... And yes, 8 hours. Wich is about every 2 rides for me.

Yeah :noidea: Alwayshave always will. I can't really say I break it in, but take my bike for a spin down the street to get it pumped through and make sure there's not leaks, ect... And yes, 8 hours. Wich is about every 2 rides for me.
I wish i had the energy to put 4 engine hours on my bike per ride :thumb:

James

Staff member
And yes, 8 hours. Wich is about every 2 rides for me.
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Do you have a hour meter installed, what color is your oil when it comes out? At this rate you'll be changing piston rings every 10ish rides. :shocked:

:lol: I go to the track once every 2 or 3 weeks and spend the whole day there, 10 to 5
I'm willing to bet you only get between 1.5 to 2.5 hours on your bike. :noidea: