Hello...

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm in southeast Michigan, and joined because I need a bit of advice on what bike to buy...and maybe another question or two :smirk:

If I should post this somewhere else :sorry: please point me in the right direction. :thumb:

I'm looking to buy my son and myself a couple used dirtbikes to play around on this summer.
Trail riding only...

wanting to buy 2strokes, liquid cooled only, and as new and well maintained as I can find...in my budget...
Looking to grab myself a 250 (Cr / Yz / Kx / Rm) best and newest I can find in my budget...

Now, for my sons bike, that is where I'm looking for opinions...
bought him a Yamaha Pw80 when he was younger and he rode it for a few years (out grew it) now hes been without a bike for a few years.

He's now 15 (has his permit and drives the car/truck both automatics). Drives the snowmobiles every winter but he's never used a clutch on a bike (He's never tried/had the chance to try) but thats not a issue (he will catch on quick)....he is 5'8" and growing and is 179lbs

I'm wondering if I should start him off on a (Cr / Yz / Kx / Rm) 80/85 or the bigger 125?
5'8" and 179lbs and growing!!! Is he already too big for the 80/85cc bike?
Going from a last bike being a Pw80 to jumping on a Yz125 is a huge difference. All that Power/speed he's not going to be expecting :eek:
(same for his bike...as new and well maintained as I can find...in my budget)

So what do you all think?
5'8" and 179lbs.....The 125 or the 80/85?

another question if I could....
Trail riding only....
what spare parts does the casual riders want to keep with them while trail riding. besides extra spark plugs and a tow rope?
what do you all keep on hand/back at the truck as far as spare parts go....

Thanks for any opinions/replies....
Thanks for letting me join :thumb:

Welcome!!!
He's a big boy. Go get a pair of YZ125's to start out on. Better yet Yamaha makes TTR 230's and so does honda. Those are great reliable trail bikes that are capable of handling advanced riding as well as beginners. Easy to ride, easy to maintain and loads of fun.

Or what mike said without the 2T 125 :prof:
Me: I would get yourselves a pair of 250 2 strokes, put a flywheel weight on them to tone them down a bit.
Your son will outgrow anything else before the end of summer and be wanting a bigger bike. He is already there in size, just needs the discipline.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/con...is-the-best-all-around-bike.6811/#post-155656
Trail tools all depend on adventure.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/content/threads/packs-and-vests-what-you-should-be-carrying.3997/

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm in southeast Michigan, and joined because I need a bit of advice on what bike to buy...and maybe another question or two :smirk:

If I should post this somewhere else :sorry: please point me in the right direction. :thumb:

I'm looking to buy my son and myself a couple used dirtbikes to play around on this summer.
Trail riding only...

wanting to buy 2strokes, liquid cooled only, and as new and well maintained as I can find...in my budget...
Looking to grab myself a 250 (Cr / Yz / Kx / Rm) best and newest I can find in my budget...

Now, for my sons bike, that is where I'm looking for opinions...
bought him a Yamaha Pw80 when he was younger and he rode it for a few years (out grew it) now hes been without a bike for a few years.

He's now 15 (has his permit and drives the car/truck both automatics). Drives the snowmobiles every winter but he's never used a clutch on a bike (He's never tried/had the chance to try) but thats not a issue (he will catch on quick)....he is 5'8" and growing and is 179lbs

I'm wondering if I should start him off on a (Cr / Yz / Kx / Rm) 80/85 or the bigger 125?
5'8" and 179lbs and growing!!! Is he already too big for the 80/85cc bike?
Going from a last bike being a Pw80 to jumping on a Yz125 is a huge difference. All that Power/speed he's not going to be expecting :eek:
(same for his bike...as new and well maintained as I can find...in my budget)

So what do you all think?
5'8" and 179lbs.....The 125 or the 80/85?

another question if I could....
Trail riding only....
what spare parts does the casual riders want to keep with them while trail riding. besides extra spark plugs and a tow rope?
what do you all keep on hand/back at the truck as far as spare parts go....

Thanks for any opinions/replies....
Thanks for letting me join :thumb:

besides plugs, some of he things you might consider would be a spare air filter, if the bike is swamped it's nice to have a dry pre oiled filter to throw in there rather than getting most of the water out of the old filter, making a mess, but that's if your riding in/around water, also a bicycle pump and a front and rear tube. cable ties are a must, keep a couple master links in you pack also, not bad to bring some disposable rubber gloves to keep things tidy when doing trail side repairs.I usually have a full tool bag and spare parts that might be handy at the truck....throttle and clutch cables. I've had a throttle cable break while warming up the bike before the ride....it's a bummer when a 16 dollar part screws up your day. Brake fluid,oils, brake and clutch levers,handle bar grips. Other than that just make sure you do a good pre ride prep, check all the fasteners on the bike, adjust the chain tension, go thru and check the spokes, check fluid levels,and tire pressures.it seems like no matter how thorough a person is the unexpected comes up. But being well prepared always helps prevent headaches.......oh yeah speaking of headaches, always bring ibuprofen also. Happy trails Frank and welcome to DBA

go with a full size bike, my boy 15yo and is 5'9'' 140 and is on a RM250Z. He fits on it just fine. 85 is what he came from and it was way to little for him last year. Your son will swallow a 85. Try a KDX 220/200. I have one of these and they are very good trial bikes and are tame compared to a YZ, RM, CR or KX . Or like others said ttr230 or crf230, those are great full size trail bikes and very easy to maintain.