2 Stroke Head gasket placement

Greetings,

Can anyone help me here? I have a 1986 KTM 250 MX. The head gasket has a provision to block the coolant flow from one cylinder jacket. I am ASSUMING that the block off would go directly under the head's hose spigot to make sure the coolant is forced through the head before exiting back to the radiators. Does that sound right? There is no mark or arrow on the gasket, and no indication on proper placement in my KTM factory manual.

Thanks!
HARFEND

Greetings,

Can anyone help me here? I have a 1986 KTM 250 MX. The head gasket has a provision to block the coolant flow from one cylinder jacket. I am ASSUMING that the block off would go directly under the head's hose spigot to make sure the coolant is forced through the head before exiting back to the radiators. Does that sound right? There is no mark or arrow on the gasket, and no indication on proper placement in my KTM factory manual.

Thanks!
HARFEND

I believe that is correct. You will have to ask @SRAD97750 about it to confirm or find a parts fiche.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Are you referring to this gasket?
20140801_122334.jpg
If it is, it looks like it can only be clocked one way? The jackets are different sizes slightly. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Scheduled meltdowns? That should be arranged for AFTER the bike is sold! LOL! As an update, I have the engine reassembled and turning over with good compression again. I haven't fired it up yet because I am waiting on a clamp for the exhaust. I will begin the break-in process hopefully this weekend. Wish me luck!

HARFEND