Gorman With Kids

Able to start riding again after getting the kids into it, and a camper to make it an"outing". So decided to take a trip to Gorman on a weekend (man does it get crowded now). Was a lot of fun, although I do hate quads... Picked up a GoPro to play around with.

Here's with the kids, although most of it is just riding around camp. We're still working on them going a little farther.

Here's myself getting away for a little loop. Pronghorn to Cow to Gorman to Brome used to be a quick warmup to shake out the bikes for LPNF. Little slow as haven't been riding in like 6-8 years (shows with an 03 KTM with only 40 hours on it).

Traditionally? Gorman/LPNF, Kennedy Meadows, Jawbone (before all the fencing), Occasionally Spangler Hills (before the Golden Valley), and once in a while a race in Johnson Valley during the mid/late 90's to early 00's.

With the kids and wife learning now I'm thinking to go to places that have room for a toy hauler and where the kids can ride around it without being too difficult for them now (need to build up their confidence). Spangler worked well near the wagon wheel. Gorman was so-so, although there are a few more open campgrounds that I think would work better. Jawbone would work for them near the power lines and most likely Mammoth Lakes near the WWII air strip from June through August (son has a red sticker and it's cooler).

Hard part is trying to find something that I like that they can do as well. Hoping I can find some riding near Mammoth that I can enjoy as well. Most of it seems like fire roads, etc. which is not my cup of tea, but everything is a compromise.

I'd like to do Kennedy Meadows with them, but can't recall any good places to park/camp that they can ride easily around. Heard the rangers crack down on kids riding in the Troy Meadows Overflow.

Traditionally? Gorman/LPNF, Kennedy Meadows, Jawbone (before all the fencing), Occasionally Spangler Hills (before the Golden Valley), and once in a while a race in Johnson Valley during the mid/late 90's to early 00's.

With the kids and wife learning now I'm thinking to go to places that have room for a toy hauler and where the kids can ride around it without being too difficult for them now (need to build up their confidence). Spangler worked well near the wagon wheel. Gorman was so-so, although there are a few more open campgrounds that I think would work better. Jawbone would work for them near the power lines and most likely Mammoth Lakes near the WWII air strip from June through August (son has a red sticker and it's cooler).

Hard part is trying to find something that I like that they can do as well. Hoping I can find some riding near Mammoth that I can enjoy as well. Most of it seems like fire roads, etc. which is not my cup of tea, but everything is a compromise.

I'd like to do Kennedy Meadows with them, but can't recall any good places to park/camp that they can ride easily around. Heard the rangers crack down on kids riding in the Troy Meadows Overflow.

A few of us like to ride and camp out of Spangler. Good for the kids and easy to find stuff for those willing to participate :smirk: there are a few guys that think Palmer is an Ass and CDA has become the outcast of the group and well me, I'm just a second gear guy :smirk:

Thanks Gary for the vids. :thumb: Enjoy every minute of your time with the little ones. Every parent knows they should but, only us parents that have their kids already getting older know how fast it happens. :thumb:

A few of us like to ride and camp out of Spangler. Good for the kids and easy to find stuff for those willing to participate :smirk: there are a few guys that think Palmer is an Ass and CDA has become the outcast of the group and well me, I'm just a second gear guy :smirk:
Welcome to the site Gary, looks like you are getting started to have many fun memories with the family. As mentioned above, Spanger is a great place to park a toyhauler and allow the kids to do donuts around camp without worrying about them. And yes I have been outcasted from the group but since you do not know me, maybe I can hang with you guys..:thumb:

You really need to be in an open area or the Rangers will frown on riding around the camp. Like others have said Spangler is about the best. KM is pretty much zero tolerance and is really best for competent riders only.

Yah, the family all likes Spangler for a number of reasons. But, it gets a little hot for summer and will only work for us until the end of the month (red sticker on sons KTM 50...). If it's in the 70's we'll be there for Memorial Day. If it's hotter we'll be at Mammoth.