Good bike for beginner?

I made another thread about deciding if I should get a bike or not. After all the helpful replies I think I most likely will, and now it's time to decide what is best. The one I was looking at was a TTR 250, but I called and they just sold it today. :(
Unfortunately I had spent all my time researching that bike, and I'm a complete noobie and all the different types are just overwhelming to me.
I have never even sat on a bike before, so I am the definition of a beginner. But I'm a fairly quick learner and have ridden quads a ton, so I am at least comfortable on rough trails. My questions to you all, is what types of bikes are good for a beginner, but still have some decent power so I'm not bored after 1 week of riding?
The ttr250 seems like it has about the right power for me, so what are some other equivalents to that? I don't want anything less powerful than that, but could probably do okay with something slightly more.

One thing I liked about the 250 was that based on everything I read, it seemed to have good suspension and a really comfy seat, which I'm all for especially being so new. If I can find one, I'll get that, but the bike selection around here is slim pickins, so any equivalent or similar type of bike would do, I just don't know what they are. xD
Oh one last thing. Is there any specific years I should stay away from? And how far back do you think is okay to go year wise? Personally I would like to stay in the 2000s, but 90s would be okay if those are still decent bikes.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

You might think there a lot of choices for you....I'll tell ya though, when I was a kid they had many more choices, including makes that aren't around anymore, such ad Hodaka, Penton, Maico, Cagiva, Montessa, Can-Am,Ossa, and Bultaco,there are others I can't recall now and all these guys plus each of the big 4 had a full lineup of 2 stroke and some 4 stroke models....my point is don't overwhelm yourself looking for the perfect bike,just find a bike that seems to fit your immediate needs, and either you will keep it and love it for years, or ride this one for a few months, sell it and find what you really want...but you won't know that till you start riding....so get something and start riding....I guarantee you'll love it.

Last edited:
Maybe a forum search will help me, but what is your size, age, weight, etc... using it for trail riding only, going to the track, etc?

TTR is a good bike or the CRF is also for learning.

I might just be totally stupid but I feel that if you know how to ride a quad (clutch/shifting) you'd be fine on any bike. Of course a tame bike would give you more confidence while learning the ropes. But with a "tame" bike aka a trail bike you're going to be adding a significant amount of weight in comparison to lets say a 125 2 stroke as well as having not so good suspension. What I tell every beginner, you only go as fast as you twist the throttle.