Getting a race bike

Hey all, im looking to by a race bike this summer. Right now i own a 2006 crf 230 trail bike. Couldent be happier with it on the trail and puttin around and got good speed too. The thing i hate about it is i like to do alot of track riding and it just dont have the balls to rail the jumps hard.

There is a track in my town that is about 10 minutes threw this little rocky trail with a few mud pits and some step hills. The trail is really convenient because it is right by my house. I was thinking about geting a 250 2 stroke. Question is, what should i get (cr,kx,yz) and would it be worth even trying to take it through the trail or should i just bring it in the back of the truck up to the track? I like riding the trail but if im gonna blow it up by not keeping it wound out than i dont see the point of trying.

My friends have always told me that 2 strokes are just for racing and trail riding isent ideal for them, so if i have been misinformed that please say so. The trail is pretty rough too so it would be hard to rip the bike through it, as there is alot of mud and pointy rocks.

Thanks

Actually alot of bike makers (suzuki, kawi, ktm) are starting to make 4 stroke racing bikes which is becoming popular in like ama sx. But riding a 2 stroke is not going to blow up your bike , you just will have more top end power which is alot better for the jumps i think im right about this, if im wrong someone please correct me.

Hey all, im looking to by a race bike this summer. Right now i own a 2006 crf 230 trail bike. Couldent be happier with it on the trail and puttin around and got good speed too. The thing i hate about it is i like to do alot of track riding and it just dont have the balls to rail the jumps hard.

There is a track in my town that is about 10 minutes threw this little rocky trail with a few mud pits and some step hills. The trail is really convenient because it is right by my house. I was thinking about geting a 250 2 stroke. Question is, what should i get (cr,kx,yz) and would it be worth even trying to take it through the trail or should i just bring it in the back of the truck up to the track? I like riding the trail but if im gonna blow it up by not keeping it wound out than i dont see the point of trying.

My friends have always told me that 2 strokes are just for racing and trail riding isent ideal for them, so if i have been misinformed that please say so. The trail is pretty rough too so it would be hard to rip the bike through it, as there is alot of mud and pointy rocks.

Thanks

Welcome to DBA :canada:

I currently ride a 250 2 stroke on trails and track.

Actually alot of bike makers (suzuki, kawi, ktm) are starting to make 4 stroke racing bikes which is becoming popular in like ama sx. But riding a 2 stroke is not going to blow up your bike , you just will have more top end power which is alot better for the jumps i think im right about this, if im wrong someone please correct me.

:thumb:

Whats "Wrenching" mean? And yeah i know maintenance and how to mix gas and stuff. Been riding for a while :P just never at a more maintenance heavy race bike, but im up for the challenge.

Oh crap, typo sorry. I meant "wench". If you get a wench to deal with riding the bike is lots more fun.

Sorry about that dang it's hot in here.

SRAD97750

Staff member
As far as actual "maintenance" is concerned, a 2T is mostly maintenance free. There are far fewer moving parts.
A 4T needs to be inspected and adjusted regularly to maintain tip top performance.

As far as blowing up a bike because you're riding a trail? No. Not something that occurs.
Racing MX with jumps, expect to blow it up. 4T or 2T.

Don't be caught up in the 2T vs. 4T debates... it's pointless and they end up costing the same to own over time.
Both are great for different reasons, but can also do the job in any situation. Just find what YOU like to ride the most, and RIDE. :ride: -BIG DAN:thumb:

PS, riding to the track is not suggested because if you crash it, you may not have a way home...

Last edited:
Oh crap, typo sorry. I meant "wench". If you get a wench to deal with riding the bike is lots more fun.

Sorry about that dang it's hot in here.

Yeah but im still woundering what kind of bike should i get, ive heard the cr 250's have the best power (dont know if thats true) but ive also heard that the yz 250's have a wider powerband.

As far as actual "Maintenance" is concerned, a 2T is mostly maintenance free.
A 4T needs to be inspected and adjusted regularly to maintain tip top performance.

As far as blowing up a bike because you're riding a trail? No. Not something that occurs.
Racing MX with jumps, expect to blow it up. 4T or 2T.

Don't be caught up in the 2T vs. 4T debates... it's pointless and they end up costing the same to own over time.
Both are great for different reasons, but can also do the job in any situation. Just find what YOU like to ride the most, and RIDE. :ride: -BIG DAN:thumb:

PS, riding to the track is not suggested because if you crash it you may not have a way home...

Yeah im not trying to make a "versus" thread, im buying a 2 stroke anyways i was just asking if im gonna blow it up in a trail. Just kinda dont know what brand to get. Every brand has advantages and disadvantages