Genuine Honda "B" Piston in "A" Cylinder - CR250

yo

I just got my brand new cylinder and piston kit from Troy powersports and specifically asked for an "A" piston kit with my "A" cylinder but they have given me a "B" Piston.
Not happy as I wanted to get my cr running today and get it broken in before the christmas break so its ready to ride but it aint lookin that way now.

I have read some people say don't put it in but others say its fine as its such a minute difference in size.

I do want it running 100% coz a new cylinder wasn't cheap. Whats your thoughts

Cheers

Jim

i don't get this to.... the last piston I had in my cr (genuine honda) had 1 ring, ..... the piston I have hear from troy has 2 rings to go on the piston, confused!!

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have read some people say don't put it in but others say its fine as its such a minute difference in size...
... the last piston I had in my cr (genuine honda) had 1 ring, ..... the piston I have hear from troy has 2 rings to go on the piston, confused!!
If you got a piston and cylinder together from a reputable shop, they will match perfectly. Usually honed specifically to THAT piston. Check the ring end gap and run it.
Some pistons have one ring, some have 2. Two rings typically last longer vs 1, and one ring pistons have "less friction" at the cylinder wall. I don't think the typical rider is going to notice a difference.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

If you got a piston and cylinder together from a reputable shop, they will match perfectly. Usually honed specifically to THAT piston. Check the ring end gap and run it.
Some pistons have one ring, some have 2. Two rings typically last longer vs 1, and one ring pistons have "less friction" at the cylinder wall. I don't think the typical rider is going to notice a difference.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I agree....however I do know that there is at least one guy that rides a 500 in upstate n.y. who can tell the difference between 1 and 2 rings

I agree....however I do know that there is at least one guy that rides a 500 in upstate n.y. who can tell the difference between 1 and 2 rings

I have to agree with Big D also. Did you get both from the same company?:thumb:

I do not agree with 2strokesteve... Unless the guy he is referring to is his own blood and/or brother, the guy I think he is referring to wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground if it spit shit on him.

:prof:

I do not agree with 2strokesteve... Unless the guy he is referring to is his own blood and/or brother, the guy I think he is referring to wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground if it spit shit on him.

I don't use those emoticons.....however most people get when I'm using sarcasm......which by the way is about 99 % of the time. And unless you were using sarcasm to describe the hole in the ground guy....I agree with you.

I don't use those emoticons.....however most people get when I'm using sarcasm......which by the way is about 99 % of the time. And unless you were using sarcasm to describe the hole in the ground guy....I agree with you.

Steve,
Why you gotta poo in everyones serious thread? Are you seriously serious about my seriousness? :P

Jim, you still heading to the USA some time in 2015? Lots of radio silence and I think I have a plan. we can get "any" YZ from 2002 up , and I'll just give you the 02 frame green sticker bike for year around riding, or we can register whatever you like in AZ... Let me know when you firm up a date...

yo

I just got my brand new cylinder and piston kit from Troy powersports and specifically asked for an "A" piston kit with my "A" cylinder but they have given me a "B" Piston.
Not happy as I wanted to get my cr running today and get it broken in before the christmas break so its ready to ride but it aint lookin that way now.

I have read some people say don't put it in but others say its fine as its such a minute difference in size.

I do want it running 100% coz a new cylinder wasn't cheap. Whats your thoughts

Cheers

Jim

Have you thought of checking the clearance and see if it is in the range specified? It might keep you from stressing.

Gary ! YO Yo ! haha I thought you may have died! I sent you one last question about a Desert Tank for the YZ250 and didn't want to bombard you with anymore messages haha

Ofcourse I'm still coming I can't wait! It may be solo as my buddy is having trouble raising the funds.

I will PM you tonight if I get a chance :) thanks again!

Jim

I asked troypowersports why they sent me a B piston with an A cylinder and this is what they told me:

Hello,

"The cylinder and piston are OK to run together. Honda has been selling the A and B cylinders and piston based on availability, and have been mixing them for years now.

What we shipped is the only cylinder and piston Honda distributes now. The 2002-2004 CR250R uses a two ring piston, 2005 and later models use a single ring piston.

Rest assured that using A and B cylinder and piston are just fine. Let me know if you have any questions, or need anything else."

I was on the phone to Honda today and they told me the cylinder will wear out quicker with the B piston fitted to the A. I'm getting loads of different ideas its annoying. Whats the final thought guys? Go with it and throw the B in and hope for the best? Its good to know twin ring is supposed to last longer though.
thanks for advice :)

I asked troypowersports why they sent me a B piston with an A cylinder and this is what they told me:

Hello,

"The cylinder and piston are OK to run together. Honda has been selling the A and B cylinders and piston based on availability, and have been mixing them for years now.

What we shipped is the only cylinder and piston Honda distributes now. The 2002-2004 CR250R uses a two ring piston, 2005 and later models use a single ring piston.

Rest assured that using A and B cylinder and piston are just fine. Let me know if you have any questions, or need anything else."

I was on the phone to Honda today and they told me the cylinder will wear out quicker with the B piston fitted to the A. I'm getting loads of different ideas its annoying. Whats the final thought guys? Go with it and throw the B in and hope for the best? Its good to know twin ring is supposed to last longer though.
thanks for advice :)
I would have a conference call with the dealer and him and let them decide who's right. But I would trust a reputable shop over a dealer IMO. I have run into some asshats at dealers that only been working for a week and think they know everything already.

Well whatever you do lol, dont measure it and see if they are compatible, by all means spend your time on here and avoid that at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Budd, I have had cylinders done for me that really didnt match the pistons, so i check them all. I dont give a flying pickle what the box says, the sales slip etc, I check them. If it falls in the clearance range it will be just fine. You can find out in about 5 minutes.

Or you can get an endless supply of conjecture from those who don't use a micrometer.