General mechanic know how 101

I've been a member on DBA for a couple years now, and this is the first forum I think I've ever really been a regular part of, in this time I've tried to help along many new members with quite novice type questions in regards to basic mechanic skills, basic diagnosis of problems whether electrical,mechanicle, run ability or whatever. Many have helped themselves along and I'm more than happy to pass along knowledge that I have aquired during my life as a mechanic. I do not claim to be mr. Know it all, but I can usually fix anything in front of me using my method of finding and fixing problems, whether automotive, motorcycle or anything somewhat related......so this thread is not only for me to pass along some of my methods for trouble shooting/repairing but for others to also post up some of the things they have learned along the way. The hope is knowledge can be shared between members and also when newbies show up we can refer them to this thread, let them possibly find the answer themselves thru other people's experience without constantly repeating the same thing thread after thread sometimes with the same members.

first and foremost GET A REPAIR MANUAL for the year make and model of your bike, so much time and effort can be saved by having one to refer to during any service,maintenance or repair.

Here are a few steps before you ever pick up a wench that you should verify before beginning.

1.When did the problem start? Has it done it before?
2. When does the problem occur? Cold, hot, anytime,only on the pipe, or at idle etc....
3. Have you tried to anything to fix this? Has there been a change, if so what?

Now let's pose a hypothetical problem for the sake of giving an example to the steps I would typically take in fixing a problem, in this case the bike in question has a midrange bog, or in other words, drops off in power as your rolling or snapping the throttle. I would have ridden it and verified that even after it was properly warmed up when I gave it throttle in the middle of the rpm range ithe problem would occur. If it only did this cold I would check the choke circuit for proper operation, and the spark plug,as it could be on the verge of fouling. But for the sake of argument, it still has this problem, even warm. Now that we have verified the previous steps, I would first make sure the basics are checked, as in a compression check depending on the bike 150 - 210 psi...no sense trying to get a worn out engine run right, you cannot polish a turd, also do the compression test on a warm engine if possible, with the throttle wide open, kick it over several times to get a good reading, if the compression checks good move on to other basics, like check the air filter, throttle cable operation,does it have fresh gas. If these things all check out, then I would go to where I think the problem exists, which is probably a lean needle in the carb, but before I just go in and make that adjustment I would first pull the carb and check float level, if the float is lean it could cause this and other problems as well, different manufactures have different methods of checking the float level,in this case I would refer to the AfORE MENTIONED MANUAL....typically if I make one adjustment/ change on a carburator I would run it afterwards to see if it needed any more adjustments, sometimes you can work yourself backwards by doing to many steps at once. If float level is ok, I would then check passage ways and internals of carb for dirt debris what have you, clean as necessary, if I didn't see anything as far as the carb being dirty, the next step would be to richen the needle by taking the clip holding its position and move it down which raises the needle, this allows more fuel into the engine during midrange throttle operation, and a lean condition during this rpm range could have definately caused this issue After making this adjustment I would put carb back together, and run it, this did fix the problem. but even though I may have had a preconceived idea that the ultimate fix would be the needle adjustment, it's always a good idea to follow a step by step proceure And check other things along the way if nothing else to verify proper operation of the other systems. Always verify when and where problem occurs then take steps to to either eliminate potential problems or fix it. Many times there is not a wham bam fix but instead a series of steps to follow along the way to the problem, and the more you stick to the same procedure every time it's more likely you won't miss a step and cost yourself a lot of time.....trust me on this, As experienced as I am I still sometimes jump ahead to where I think the issue is and miss the problem by not checking the basics, in other words don't go in wearing blinders.

Secondly I see many times where the person performing a repair justs jumps in and starts taking things apart hoping a little guy inside will have signs pointing them to where the problem is, sorry to say the little dude doesn't exist.....not even in the states where pot is legal. So when I am tearing down a component if it's somthing I'm not familiar with, I will look at how all the components work with each other and familiarize why self with the system,sometimes I might not only be looking for the issue at hand, but bolts I pull out, looking for rounded heads, stretched threads, thrust washers for wear, are any seals leaking. Does it look like someone else has been in ther before? When assembling a component, I may be looking at such things like, which way do washers, gears snap ring and what not go back together, believe it or not, it does make a difference somtimes, some snap rings have a longer surface area on one side than the other, so to make it easier for the snap ring pliers to grab, if you install it with the top side down, it makes life more dificult when you have to remove it. Somtimes thrust washers have a tang so when installed properly won't turn, others are supposed to have one and it's gone now, when installing seals look at them, make sure the lip of the seal is pointed towards the side it is supposed to seal, when assembliying the cylinder jug, make sure the put such things back like the centering dowels (right sparky?) you need to see stuff like this as you go. USE YOUR MANUAL to find such things as tightening specifications and procedures, order of assembly etc....basicaly there are many different scenarios I could list, but my point is be methodical, have a system in place that works for you, and stick to it, repetition of procedure will help eliminate simple mistakes.

Well that's the idea of this thread, I will probably add more as I hope others will also.

One other thing, I may be one of the worst on here at derailing a thread or just off the rails on the bullshit meter, but I would like this thread to remain on topic as its meant more for the newer members to reference.

Last edited:
Excellent Steve :thumb::cheers:
Everyone these days has a camera on their phone so use it and take pictures of every step of your repair to give yourself and others if necessary the chance to look back at what you've done so far and as an easy rebuild guide!:camera: :camera::camera::camera::camera::camera::camera::camera:

Excellent Steve :thumb::cheers:
Everyone these days has a camera on their phone so use it and take pictures of every step of your repair to give yourself and others if necessary the chance to look back at what you've done so far and as an easy rebuild guide!:camera: :camera::camera::camera::camera::camera::camera::camera:

I had that idea in mind as well, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can make this thread not only informative but easy to follow for people with limited or no experience in trouble shooting and give them a better idea of how to climb the trouble tree.

You nailed it on the head 2SS! Even with perfectly labeled organizers (i use fishing tackles holders and label each space 1~24, then use masking tape and coordinate numbers to part names) you can easily over look small parts, centering collars for example, thanks Steve lol. Check and check again against your MANUALs diagrams. Great thread idea sir! I'm always looking for more wisdom!!

as an add to number one "when did the problem start"-what work did you do to the bike just before it started doing this?

quite often the case.....here at work it's amazing how little information customers want to give you that could help with diagnosing the problem, don't know why, maybe it's when they have already tried to fix it and don't want to look like they don't know what they are doing.....which would be why they brought their car to me.

Hey bud :wave: How bout a " Tools Required for each job " section? With tips like snowflakes all thread puller for a swing arm pin!

I'll try too keep that in mind, I will use stuff in a made up fashion to do a job, if I feel the need for a specific tool will be used more than 3 times I buy it, if not I make do....the 3 times thing is kind of a rule of thumb for me.

So yesterday eve, my new riding partner too be, asked for my assistance with installing a fork seal on his 05 cr 250.
He didn't want to spend the $50 on install tool. I said sure, I went to my tool box and grabbed my old faithful piece of PVc pipe that I sliced so it could be installed on fork tube! I put plastic piece between seal and dust seal and placed a 2x6 on floor, with gental aggression I collapsed upper tube downward 3 times. On the third strike I felt seal hit bottom!
I removed pvc piece and handed him his fork! It took approx 3 minutes to install.
He replied, that's it? I said yep! He test rode bike tonight and said all is well! I guess my point is... Rocks are not always needed!

Last edited:
When vmax moved down to the dakotas from up here I heard he about toasted the engine on his pickup going too fast for the old heap. anyway the service station shop he pulled into had a mechanic that ran out and looked at the leaking mess and said "i bet you blew a seal". Verdie thought he had seen the alaska license plate and said "I bet you fucked a sheep".

When vmax moved down to the dakotas from up here I heard he about toasted the engine on his pickup going too fast for the old heap. anyway the service station shop he pulled into had a mechanic that ran out and looked at the leaking mess and said "i bet you blew a seal". Verdie thought he had seen the alaska license plate and said "I bet you fucked a sheep".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the frustrating things that can happen while wrenching is broken bolts, stripped heads, seized bolts. This can really put a damper on a job that is otherwise going well, costs time, and can really irritate a person. If you have the right tools and are patient, you can make a frustrating situation not so bad.
seized bolts, so the first thing I try to do is get it to move at all, even if it is just barely perceptible, (by the way, be sure it is not a left hand bolt before you decide its seized)if you can move it back and forth little by little, sometimes you can get it to go, if not try some kind of lubricant, I like Deep Creep by Sea Foam, if you can get it to where the threads are is the key, I have drilled holes into the threaded hole to shoot lubricant into the threads but sometimes for varying reasons that cannot be done. One thing I avoid that most people don't is using heat to break a bolt free, I will use heat in some situations but if I think the next step may be drilling, and you heat the bolt, it will temper it and you will really be hating life then. Most of the time with patience I can remove a seized bolt. However if it is in aluminum threads you may end up ruining them, but that's what heli coils are for, I'll talk about those in a bit.
Rounded off heads, there's a couple of ways to get these out, one is they have a tool for grabbing a stripped head and getting the bolt or nut to turn, but some times there is not enough room for the tool, or if you don't have the kit you can try this trick, I will use a punch and hammer to mushroom out the head a little then take the next size up socket and beat it on the head with a hammer, I've had pretty good success with this. Another way is to strike the head of the bolt with a chisle with a counter clock wise force. This will do one of two things, lossen the bolt or eventually take the head off, thus making it easier to drill. Do not attempt to weld anything to the bolt to help you remove it, if it doesn't work, you've tempered the bolt and you will ba hating life.
Drilling Bolts, if the bolt is accessible as is you've won half the battle, if not you will need to remove anything interfering with a straight shot with your drill. Short drill bits, 90 degree drill heads, reverse drill bits all help, but the number one key is to get the hole started dead fucking center, do this by using a punch and hammer to make an indent in the desired starting point to drill. When drilling start with a pilot hole, this is usually at least 1/4 the size of the diameter of the bolt. Work your way up a couple sizes at a time while using lubricant to keep your bits from burning and make sure you drill thru the entire bolt.....by the way if this is a stainless bolt, forget everything I said and get yourself a beer. But if not proceed, once you get over Half the bolt drilled out you could try an easy out, there are several differnt styles. In my experience they work maybe 10 percent of the time, but it's worth a shot....by the way, don't break this tool off in the hole, you'll be hating life if you do.If you are forced to continue to drill stop at one size under, at this point if you have the hole dead nuts center, you should be able to see the threads just starting to emerge, you can try a tap to remove the small amount of material and restore the threads, when doing this go slow and easy, maybe 1/8 turn in 1/4 turn out to keep the tap clear, use lubricant and if it feels like it's getting tight, back it out and try some more, these taps are very hard but also brittle and can snap off easier than you'd think. If for whatever reason you failed to thread the hole with your tap, and you didn't snap it off in the hole, it's time for the heli coil. So they sell different size kits for different size bolts and thread pitch. Find the kit you need and it should come with a tap, drill, thread inserts and an insert tool. All you need to do here is use the drill bit provided and drill as far as needed for the length of the replacement bolt. Turn the tap into the hole, usually I'll go deeper than the insert provided just because I may want to set the helicoil deeper than just flush. After the threads are set, put your insert on the provided tool and twist it in, remove the tool then break off the tang on the bottom of the insert, use a drill bit or punch. Test your repair with the bolt, make sure it threads freely all the way into the hole, also test the strength by tightening the bolt against a spacer or whatever.
Well that's all I've got for now, believe it or not there is a lot more I could put in here on this subject but I'm tired and want to stop now.

Last edited: