DRZ gearing advice please

Have 07 suzi drz 125 small tire bike ,stock 14 " stock gears , plenty of low gear , would like just a little more top end speed . Could i change the front sprocket one more tooth for top end speed ? Will i lose much climbing power ?

Have 07 suzi drz 125 small tire bike ,stock 14 " stock gears , plenty of low gear , would like just a little more top end speed . Could i change the front sprocket one more tooth for top end speed ? Will i lose much climbing power ?

Add 1 tooth to the front sprocket but you may have to get a longer chain by 1-2 links.

I would not go up in the front. The front will mess with the ratio of your gearing more than the back. If you want to keep the low end gearing and gain a little on top, I would change out the back sprocket. Drop it 2 teeth and run it.

with a motor that small I too would just do the rear, just like CDA says. Changing the front is more like 3 teeth in the rear. You may be surprised the change 2 will make.

SRAD97750

Staff member
When I'm looking to change the characteristics of the engine, I change the front sprocket.
When looking for a change in MPH, I swap out the rear sprocket.

Inertial forces are multiplicative in a chain/sprocket system, which makes the output sprocket weight/diameter play a bigger role than changing the weight of the rear sprocket. Being the rear sprocket is attached to the heavy rear wheel, any changes you make are minimal in 'feel' due to the tiny change in inertial reference. -BIG DAN:thumb:

For your info , only gears avalible for drz125 are 57 and 51 tooth rear and 14. 15. 16 tooth front for 428 chain . 14 " rear tire is so different from others , bolt pattern .... found on Ebay front , rear , and chain for 45.00