150F/230F Gear down crf 230

I have a crf 230F and its a 2006. When i need new sprockets i want to get more power out of it because it allready goes fast enough. Question is: does anyone know the stock teeth count on the back sproket? I know the front is 13 teeth. And did any one else gear it down and what to? is it any better?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Throw a 52 on the rear (if you had a 50 to begin with) and see if you like that more.
It'll give you a bit more kick off the bottom, and you won't lose too much top speed. In fact, you'll get to your new top speed much faster... :thumb:
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Throw a 52 on the rear (if you had a 50 to begin with) and see if you like that more.
It'll give you a bit more kick off the bottom, and you won't lose too much top speed. In fact, you'll get to your new top speed much faster... :thumb:
-BIG DAN:thumb:

ok, and what kind of chain do i need? 120 links or 130? another question: what is the differance in 520/120 link chains and 428/120? like whats the 520 and 428 mean? And will a 150r or 150f sprocket fit?

SRAD97750

Staff member
ok, and what kind of chain do i need? 120 links or 130? another question: what is the differance in 520/120 link chains and 428/120? like whats the 520 and 428 mean? And will a 150r or 150f sprocket fit?
oooh, that is the width/pitch of the chain and sprocket teeth.
420s come on smaller dirtbikes
520s come on larger dirtbikes.

I see online your 230F has 520 sprockets and chain. I would run whatever 520 chain you want. The more you pay, the longer the life (Supposedly). O rings, X rings, and W rings are all good upgrades from non-oring chains, but you'll pay more. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I have the same bike owned since new, passed around like a cheep whore. Bike is still on stock gears, with no sign of replacement needs. Bike has been through 4 front tires and 8-9 rears, keeps pulling my kids, nephews, neighbors, friends all over. 52 on the back would be a good change, like Dan said. Also, stick with 520 gears and O-ring chain. Like Mr. Fresno mentioned.

The ones I have ridden would have probably gone faster on dirt or sand with a few added teeth on the back. For an adult weight and width t 6th gear was pretty much useless on anything softer than asphalt with 15 lbs or so of air. So it's a win win gain. I want to say that cr and CRf sprockets fit.